• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Light at the end of the Tunnel... or is it a train?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Joe, you must had missed out. We had a post about this over on the blog a few months ago. tradein.autotrader.com | AutoTrader.com Used Car Trade In Service

When I would visit the Manheim Auctions in PA, the lines would be filled with Hollenshead cars..he would sometimes have his own line at the auction.

You are right, this is the missing link. If can figure how to work the trade into a full online transaction, we would see an increase in the percentage of customers that purchase a vehicle completely online.

Time to embrace?

hahaha, thnx JK, I couldn't find it, thought it was in the forum. I recall reading it and judging it quickly as another KBB/Edmunds/NADA tool. After I saw the video, I "got it".

Time to embrace? Sure.
Are we super close to a click n buy transaction. No.

My gut is telling me that this will be a YAHT (Yet Another Haggling Tool) . AND, if I am right, it's further proof that customers WANT to haggle (99% are upside down and want MORE than this quote).

I am not from this industry. I came to this industry in 2002 with the classic pre-conception thinking that Dealers were evil skum. It didn't take long to realize how wrong that pre-conception is. Gone are the days of the dealers having all weapons and gigantic profits. The power is now in the Peoples hands. The pendulum has swung yet, shoppers STILL want to haggle.

Summary: As long as cars depreciate and folks put as little down as possible, click-n-buy wont happen 'cuz people want MORE (read: they want to haggle). IMO, the overwhelming majority of consumers will use this as a YAHT.