• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Live Video Walk-Arounds - Anyone using, considered or looked at HomeNet's VOL?

CarGuy2011

3rd Base Coach
Apr 29, 2011
First Name
Car
Recently, HomeNet introduced a new app for the iPhone4 and the Android phone that allows a dealership employee(s) to access their inventory via their phone and record a real walk-around video of a particular vehicle in-stock and upload that video to HomeNet’s WebIOL for automated distribution to the dealership’s YouTube channel, AutoTrader.com and more locations based on that website’s ability to accept video. It seems like the best overall choice to record a live vehicle walk-around. The automated distribution being one of the best selling features.
I wanted to see how many of you have considered the product or are using the product, so I can see “live†examples.
Disclaimer: This may seem like a sales pitch for HomeNet; it is not. I do not work for HomeNet! Nor was I asked by HomeNet to present this discussion. I’m a local reseller of HomeNet products in my neck of the woods. This discussion was created so that I could get a better understanding of why my local dealers are not more interested in this product. I believe this product could be a “Game Changer†and wanted your expert opinions.

This discussion was created so that I could get a better understanding of why my local dealers are not more interested in this product. I believe this product could be a “Game Changer†and wanted your expert opinions.
There's a lot of power in the technology--but only if you have the people that can and want to use it. In our case, the two common objections are:

1) Having customers coming in constantly (which holds me back with one of our top guys)
2) "I don't wanna be on camera!"

Build me a robot that can do that work*, or find a willing non-busy subject**, and we'll talk. Mind the uncanny valley.

*And after eight years of competing in the FIRST Robotics Competition, six of them with game challenges where teams were encouraged to use an onboard camera, and many teams still fell flat when you knew exactly what the camera was supposed to look for and roughly where it was in relation to the robot, I say Good Luck With That.

**I don't know if there's association or causation on that...

As a photo guy and online inventory manager I can see why it would be nice but also why it's hard to come by. My job description is to take and upload photos in addition to managing our online presentation, and I can't find time to do video walk-arounds of our vehicles even though we have the hardware and software to do so. I make time for certain high end vehicles but for the most part we just don't bother with walk-around video and we have a company that makes a photo slide show video out of our photos.

-Dan

On a side note,

I competed in First Robotics for a few years, and still sponsor my local high school's team (the same school I graduated from) by hosting their website free of charge and assisting with graphic design and web design. My first year I did programming (part of which consisted of making a camera find a green square above a goal and properly aim a launching device to shoot foam balls through) and I also drove the robot during competition. So I know first hand what you mean about the difficulty of designing such a robot. I did motion graphics and construction (of field elements) in my latter years. I miss being more active with the team, unfortunately I no longer have the time to be hands on weekly with them anymore, but I'm still there when they need me. Sorry for the run-off story, bringing back some good memories talking about First. :lol: