• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Make Your Website Accessible: The DOJ is Coming

Drew, ummm chat is going to be a great option for the deaf. As for blind I would assume making your site audible. The question will be does it start audible for everyone or is there some sort of option for blind folks that can have the option to do to turn it on.

Basically they are defending the blind and deaf saying that they deserve to have the same right as others without the disability. I do agree, however businesses aren't in the financial position nationwide to completely change their website.

Starting a chat company with an audible option on the site would be a great way to make money over the next 10 years. just saying! depends on how hard they will come down on site owners.

now that i am thinking about it, an simple form would make it compliant for deaf folks.

No it would not. DOJ is not talking about interaction one-one with the customers. They are talking about the people being able to "use" and take advantage of the site. Just throwing up a contact form or having chat does not make your site ADA compliant (IMO).

As an example - I looked at about 10 videos today on dealer sites, and only 1 had sub-titles.

--Drew