• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Maybe a dealership can explain this

showoff3civic

Green Pea
Aug 25, 2010
First Name
Josh
Hey noobie here,

I was in car sales for about 6 years doing both internet and floor sales. While doing internet sales it was normal for me to return emails within an hour of a response or lead. Right now I am trying to buy a pre-owned Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, I think I have sent in 4-5 leads to dealership with no response and I physically went to a dealer and they seem to take 5-6 hours to respond or they wait until the next day. I have cash in hand and cannot believe how almost impossible it is to find someone that wants to sell me a car.

can someone shine some light on this for me, its kinda blowing my mind! :cry:

Check your spam folder for dealer responses.

Hate to say this but Mitsu dealers usually get 5 leads a month and they are ALL on the pre-owned Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution from some "kid" that wants to trade-in his Civic Si. After enough of those, the typical sales person becomes numb to these requests and they go unanswered.

I'm not saying this is right, just saying what on the mind of the sales person when they receive the lead.

Just buy this one and I'll be sure you get taken care of... 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsubishi dealer in Frederick Maryland

Check your spam folder for dealer responses.

Hate to say this but Mitsu dealers usually get 5 leads a month and they are ALL on the pre-owned Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution from some "kid" that wants to trade-in his Civic Si. After enough of those, the typical sales person becomes numb to these requests and they go unanswered.

I'm not saying this is right, just saying what on the mind of the sales person when they receive the lead.

Just buy this one and I'll be sure you get taken care of... 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer - Mitsubishi dealer in Frederick Maryland

I understand I remember the days of the Honda Fit when you couldnt get them and it was really pointless to even talk to someone even remotely interested because it was a 8 month wait on the car. People still deserve to be responded to, its just unbelievable to me that there is just no response at all! I have a Civic SI but its a clear title and sure as heck wouldn't trade it in to a dealer. The back Evo in md looks nice but I dont really want an Automatic :D

Thanks for the response

Try this one on. I stopped by a local Dealer Saturday at 10AM to look at a pre owned car. Walked around the lot looking at the cars (with my 16 year old daughter) for at least 15 mins. We walked inside and after about 5 mins. had a salesperson ask if we needed anything. I said we have been looking at the used A4's and liked the 07 with 16K miles. He said "yeah, that's a nice one" and walked away.....

I went home and figured I would try another way, I put an inquiry in through their website about that specific car. Name, address, phone number, everything. Saturday at Noon. I did not hear anything at all so I called Monday at 6, got a push 1 for sales, push 2 for service, etc. I pushed 1 and got someone that said "used cars" I asked who handled the internet leads and he said he could help. I asked if they had someone that handled them because I put a lead in on Saturday and did not hear anything. He asked my name, put me on hold for awhile and came back on saying "you are interested in the 07 with 16K miles, nice car" I asked was it certified and got "when can you come in and find out?" I said Tomorrow afternoon and we hung up. I have heard nothing since, and the car is on the front line....

I put an inquiry in on another Dealers site Yesterday, on a similar car and asked "is it certified" Put in Name, Email, and Phone number, even said contact me by phone. I got an auto reply. Nothing else as of yet.

Why would I reward a Dealer that does not get it? When I walked in on Saturday I was ready to buy the car and felt the internet price was fair. If the guy answered on the other one, I would have bought it Today. Go figure.

Still looking......

Mark , I was starting to wonder what happened to you. It's been awhile.

Hate to say this - but your experience is not uncommon. We like to pretend it is but it's not. The sad part is - but good for dealers, even after your shitty experience online - you still have them another opportunity. Well - actually 3 opportunities.

It doesn't take much to stand out on this industry.

I speak with my sales people every day. They usually have some complaint to do with customers or dealing with "internet" customers. My response - you're over thinking it. Don't be so focused on the negative. Take each opportunity to build rapport, be professional, follow up and be kind. Treat the customer the way you would want to be treated (but don't forget to ask for the sale). This alone goes a long way and will result in additional appointment opportunities and sales.

Just being in the business for 6 years or so, I just would never think of treating ANYBODY like that. I guess that is why I was selling on average 16 cars a month and having 25 car months. I am blown away still! I have an appointment on my current TSX to sell it today, then I need a car. I might be forced to get the new 2010 Big winged sedan STi. Thanks for the prospective views guys.

...Still looking......

AA,

Here's my $0.02.
The problem starts at the top, GSM priorities are misappropriated. Managers need to get away from their desks, roll up their sleeves and walk the floor, walk the lot, sit in on phone calls and emails, they need to get closer to the action rather than waiting at their desks for the action to come to them. They need to get a pulse on the action AND stir the pot (create urgency). The role needs a GSM to be part Maître d', part operations troubleshooter, part Sargent A** Kicker... aka SALES manager (less of a desk manager).

Seems simple, go to a great restaurant and you'll see the manager making rounds stopping to introduce themselves and ask if all is well. The automobile sales machine is every bit as complicated as consistently producing a high quality meal for a profit. How crazy would it be if you were in the restaurant, sat at a table waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

I am a marketing director, my job is to make the phone ring. That's going well lately, now I'm tracing the traffic through the sales machine and I see all the waste... Ugh. Lots of work ahead.

Last edited:
AA,

Here's my $0.02.
The problem starts at the top, GSM priorities are misappropriated. Managers need to get away from their desks, roll up their sleeves and walk the floor, walk the lot, sit in on phone calls and emails, they need to get closer to the action rather than waiting at their desks for the action to come to them. They need to get a pulse on the action AND stir the pot (create urgency). The role needs a GSM to be part Maître d', part operations troubleshooter, part Sargent A** Kicker... aka SALES manager (less of a desk manager).

Seems simple, go to a great restaurant and you'll see the manager making rounds stopping to introduce themselves and ask if all is well. The automobile sales machine is every bit as complicated as consistently producing a high quality meal for a profit. How crazy would it be if you were in the restaurant, sat at a table waiting... and waiting... and waiting.

I am a marketing director, my job is to make the phone ring. That's going well lately, now I'm tracing the traffic through the sales machine and I see all the waste... Ugh. Lots of work ahead.

I agree 100%! I lived in Cincinnati and the best sales manager I have ever had worked there. He was doing just that walking around introducing himself, making the customers feel comfortable, building rapport, and even having fun with clients.

I will remember this point for the rest of my life, I had a client nickle and diming me over a couple hundred dollars. We were close to the deal so my sales manager told me that if we do the deal then my he wants the customers shoes off his feet. I was kinda weirded out about going to my customer and asking for his shoes to get the deal done. Well I ended up doing what he asked me to do, the customer in pure excitement took his shoes off and threw them on the table. My sales manager was hiding behind the wall and ran out grabbed the shoes then filled out the purchase and sales agreement. We ended up giving his shoes back to him of course but! I can tell you that the gentleman buying the car will never forget that and if he is buying a new car then I am sure he would be back to get another one.

After that day I wanted to aspire to be a sales manager or GM of a dealership. I had the unfortunate experience of bouncing around to a couple dealerships but I can tell you that these guys knew how to make deals and have fun with it. Seems like a lot of dealerships are to micromanaged in somethings and they totally forget about others. Not every dealership but most are lazy, I guess you forget while in the business how exciting new car buying is and only care about selling that car because you really don't make anything without it. I guess it comes down to making money, if the sales person feels like they are wasting there time by pre-qualifying then they don't care.

Last edited: