• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Maybe we're asking the wrong question

RickWillis

Lot Lizard
Mar 16, 2022
Awards
First Name
Rick
When I was a kid, my dad would make a game out of grocery shopping. Each week he would scour our two daily newspapers (yes, there was such a time…) and figure out who had the best price on tomatoes, milk, round steak, toilet paper and the rest of the shopping list. Then on Saturday morning, he and my mother would have a scavenger hunt. Sometimes they’d only get one or two items at a store, then on to the next. No loyalty- the lowest price won. If a store managed to get the lions share of my dad’s shopping, we knew it probably wasn’t going to be around long.

I was reminded of this “game” when I saw yet another post asking which inventory site produced the best results.

Amazon has trained us to use the internet for price shopping. In the absence of any other information, if two seemingly identical items are offered, the lower price wins the sale. Every time! And it doesn’t matter if it’s pickup trucks or tuna fish.

Reducing your business to a picture and a price next to what your competition offers only works for the dealer willing to be the cheapest. If that's not you, you lose.

Funny thing is, most people aren’t coupon clipping penny pinchers. More people than you probably realize are eager to do business with someone they know they can trust. When a dealer is getting a third or more of their sales from repeat or referral business, you know they’ve earned the right to charge a fair price. It shows customers have a relationship with what the company stands for, not the cars on the lot.

Dealers that are slaves to the price game will always churn customers.

Instead of asking which website will drive the most traffic, you may want to consider asking how you can earn the trust of customers before they need what you sell, and how you can inspire loyalty that leads to a lifetime of referrals.