• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Mercedes Benz and NetStar - Can we collaborate?

No we are NOT asking too much. The "IT" people at MBUSA are simply clueless when it comes to real world day to day operations of the dealership as a whole. All they know is what is optimal in the world of Netstar. Consideration is not given to how the lack of Chrome or IE10 or using the latest Java might help us perform our job at a higher level of efficiency. I am a simple parts manager and my knowledge of what makes these systems work is not as vast as most but as we have limited access to an IT person I have had to learn on my feet. I too get so frustrated with the IT crew at Netstar when I call in and the "go to" response is uninstall Java, do a restart and install 6_32 and see how that goes...GRRRRR......... The new Mantra is the "The Best or Nothing", if that is true then give us the best, give us the latest, give us an ear. Live in our world and see what challenges we face.

Well said, kybenz! I can add very little to what you said except to say that it's somewhat comforting to know that I (we) are not alone. I do hesitate to completely knock MB because it's a great brand and it makes some of the best vehicles one can buy. Here's what's even more amazing to me standing on the outside looking in: What happens on one of their "inspections" when they come in the building to look at facilities? Paint isn't the right color - repaint. The mahogany trim isn't right stain - re-do the trim. The tech's toolboxes aren't all blue - go buy all blue ones. Contrast those instances with what we're discussing here and you get the sense that the priorities may not be correctly adjusted.

Now, I'm just a contractor who's worked with the line for several years in the same dealership. So I don't have a dog in the fight except that I hate seeing the waste of time and resources. When it could easily be resolved I feel, if only someone above the IT staff would pay attention and listen. I guess one could ask, "How do we get to that person or that office?" Would it do any good if we did?

I was hoping this forum could serve as an impromptu spot to share ideas on the IT front. That's my main interest anyway.

Good comments indeed all around.

Hoib