• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Motor Vehicle Tax Database

Tallcool1

Boss
Mar 17, 2014
Awards
First Name
Clint
I am looking for a Motor Vehicle Tax database to integrate with my CRM (api preferred). I know this exists. I don't know the correct search terms to find it.

I want my CRM to automatically calculate TT&L based upon a customer's tax jurisdiction.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Marketscan is probably a good fit for that. Which CRM?

I believe the Market Scan API is a lot more than taxes & fees. It is primarily payment calculations and structuring with state tax and fees as a component of the payments. It is the Cadillac of payment APIs and comes with Cadillac pricing. For a single rooftop application, that could be like exterminating an ant hill with a nuke.

There are taxes and fee tables that can be purchased. The issue you'll run into, @Tallcool1, is understanding how to put those things together. Some states are incredibly complex depending on how the vehicle is financed, the weight, the price, what kind of engine it has, whether trade equity is at play, and all sorts of other fun things.

There are town jurisdictions with different tax rates than the rest of the county and counties that do things differently than the state. Zip codes are not the only indicator of which area needs to be taxed in which way. We sometimes have had to resort to asking the customer for clarifications on where they live to hit the accuracy levels we get at FRIKINtech. We also have to ask the customer for some details about their trade to fill in other parts. Domestic trucks are a huge barrier to the latter. EVs are the new fun.

So, @jscole86 is right in recommending Market Scan as that is the top-of-the-line system for accuracy. OfferLogix takes a bit more effort to get to that same level, but costs less and can get there with the right subject matter expertise (algebraic understanding of leasing - if you need those, enough time behind a desk to appreciate the nuances of a dealership & deal structuring & new car incentives, and finally the technical expertise to decipher and implement complex APIs). However, without knowing more about your application, it is hard to recommend a direction.

P.S. This post is a waaaaay overkill response.

Reactions: Tallcool1
I believe the Market Scan API is a lot more than taxes & fees. It is primarily payment calculations and structuring with state tax and fees as a component of the payments. It is the Cadillac of payment APIs and comes with Cadillac pricing. For a single rooftop application, that could be like exterminating an ant hill with a nuke.

There are taxes and fee tables that can be purchased. The issue you'll run into, @Tallcool1, is understanding how to put those things together. Some states are incredibly complex depending on how the vehicle is financed, the weight, the price, what kind of engine it has, whether trade equity is at play, and all sorts of other fun things.

There are town jurisdictions with different tax rates than the rest of the county and counties that do things differently than the state. Zip codes are not the only indicator of which area needs to be taxed in which way. We sometimes have had to resort to asking the customer for clarifications on where they live to hit the accuracy levels we get at FRIKINtech. We also have to ask the customer for some details about their trade to fill in other parts. Domestic trucks are a huge barrier to the latter. EVs are the new fun.

So, @jscole86 is right in recommending Market Scan as that is the top-of-the-line system for accuracy. OfferLogix takes a bit more effort to get to that same level, but costs less and can get there with the right subject matter expertise (algebraic understanding of leasing - if you need those, enough time behind a desk to appreciate the nuances of a dealership & deal structuring & new car incentives, and finally the technical expertise to decipher and implement complex APIs). However, without knowing more about your application, it is hard to recommend a direction.

P.S. This post is a waaaaay overkill response.
Actually, this post is exactly the clarification that I wanted. This is also the exact reason that I did not build this feature into my CRM. The user knows what is and is not taxable.

I really have no desire to exterminate an ant hill with a nuke!

Attachments

• Screenshot (633).jpg
    Screenshot (633).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 6
That makes a lot more sense! You could buy generic tax tables that are more of a FYI pop-up box for when your people are doing out of state deals. Then, it is just informational and not a bunch of complex calculations.

....you know, the way we used to do it before desking solutions ;)

• Hilarious
Reactions: Tallcool1
That makes a lot more sense! You could buy generic tax tables that are more of a FYI pop-up box for when your people are doing out of state deals. Then, it is just informational and not a bunch of complex calculations.

....you know, the way we used to do it before desking solutions ;)
Sales Tax is actually fairly simple. Where it gets complicated is certain products and Motor Vehicle Taxes like property tax and such.

GAP Insurance is not taxable.
GAP Waiver is taxable.
Both are offered in most states.
Are you selling GAP Insurance or are you selling a GAP Waiver?
Wait, what?
No, it's GAP Insurance!
Are you sure?
No.

My original thought was this, I don't really want my customers holding my CRM responsible for tax calculations. If the calculation is incorrect, it immediately becomes my fault. The fact that someone input an incorrect address (resulting in a correct but irrelevant calculation) doesn't matter.

Your situation with Frikintech is much different. You are in that business!

Thanks for helping me talk myself out of this!