• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

My GM says I'm a "Demo Ninja"......need to work on getting people inside!

Why should they come inside?....So I can sell them a car!!!!!!

Correct, I suspected that.

Now put yourself in their position, take your bias out of it. Put yourself in their shoes.

1. What do they stand to gain from coming inside?

-If you are unable to empathize with their situation, just think of trying to sell your mom a car. She’s outside after you did a highlight reel demo.

Mom: “Mauricio, I am so proud of my angel. Thank you so much, I’m going to go home and think about it."
You: “um, come inside.”

2. Mom: “what’s inside? why should I come in there?"

What would you say in either example? (1 & 2)

More to follow based on your answers.

You told me you were "just looking", right?.....Yes......Exactly, and what you're looking for is information, I'm here to give you the information you need to make a well informed decision.......when you go to another dealership wouldn't you like to be prepared in knowing what we are going to do on our vehicle before you go look at theirs?........That's what I thought, follow me.

You told me you were "just looking", right?.....Yes......Exactly, and what you're looking for is information, I'm here to give you the information you need to make a well informed decision.......when you go to another dealership wouldn't you like to be prepared in knowing what we are going to do on our vehicle before you go look at theirs?........That's what I thought, follow me.

-Mindset: ^^^ This is the exact mindset that you need to have on a day to day basis. It was actually a very good answer which leads me to believe that you are probably just new to the business but kind of have an instinct for it. Maybe you are just unable to pull the trigger due to self doubt or lack of experience.
You are there to help people buy a car [this is different than selling them a car] You are there to provide them with information [this is different than forcing a sales process on them]
Do not forget this logic, go to work everyday ready and willing to help people.

-Logistics: Logistics will derail a deal and prevent a T.O. 100% of the time if you let it. You can’t spike without a set. You need to build a T.O., set your manager up for it. How? I’ll get to that.

Getting them inside starts from the beginning of the meet and greet. You need to leave yourself with “outs”/options.
When you’re greeting a customer:

You: “[say whatever stupid greeting you’re forced to say]”
customer: “Hi Mauricio, I’m Dave.”
*this is the important part*
You: “Nice to meet you Dave, What were you hoping to accomplish today?"

normally you will get these reponses:
1. *da fuq? :thinker: “what do you mean?”
2. “umm... i wanted to see a Passat?”
3. “I was looking at your website, is stock #V43501 still here?”
4. “I want to know what my trade in is worth."

You get the point. Whatever they say, that is what you care about as well. Now for your response:

1. "I’m sorry, What brought you here today?” (softer version of the original. Do not get comfortable and substitute this for “accomplish” as your default, it enables bullshiters. It’s just a back up so you don’t seem scary)
2. “Awesome! I appreciate your interest in our dealership and I would be honored/excited to show you them. [yes I really say this. Why? because I really mean it. This is how we pay our bills. Don’t hold back if you believe it. Man up, Job’s are supposed to be fun] this is supposed to be sincere yet light hearted. Breaking down their barriers, we are.
3. “The used 2012 Jetta? Awesome! I appreciate your interest and I would be honored/excited to show it to you. I need to check it’s availability. Is it only that specific car that you want, or just one like it? [yes I stole this from Jerry. Why? It works when you need to switch cars/DX]
4. “Kelley Blue Book doesn’t buy cars!” ... I’m joking, don’t say that. “Awesome! I could go for an appraisal right about now. Do you have your registration on you? Are you selling it outright or trading it in?"

Now I know what you’re thinking, “Dude I asked about getting them inside. I already know how to say hi to people.” I can appreciate that. But you need to open people up as quick as possible in order to make it easier to get them inside.

TL&DR: Here is what you need to pay attention to anywhere along the process. Whenever a customer mentions or asks:
Payments, Price, trade in, financing / interest rate

they always ask or hint. When they do, say :
payments- Yes I would be happy to get those for you. Come on in and let’s do an application. {if} “don’t run my credit” ... “no problem, I’ll just assume excellent credit, follow me and let’s get some payments.” It really is this easy alot of the time.
Price- Let’s go inside and I’ll get you something in writing. {if} “not going inside, what’s the price.” ... “Always get it in writing, a less nobel salesmen would tell you $1 if he know’s you aren’t going to get it in writing. He knows that you cannot hold him to it when you come back” [yes I really say this. it wakes them up. Why would you go somewhere and not get it in writing? I thought we are all liars anyways, right? #doublestandards
4. Trade in is the easiest. I always go for it first. “Grab you registration, follow me, let’s go fill out an appraisal."

Also, Introduce them to the manager anytime you take them inside. I don’t care if there going to the restroom, getting a drink, walking inside so you can copy their id for a test drive , etc. Bring them in with you and walk to a manager “Hey , just fyi, while I’m doing this [whatever you are doing] if you have any questions please ask this man. His name is “Sell Morecars” , he makes stuff happen.” That way they aren’t taken by surprise when you actually TO. They have already met your manager. If you are outside afterwards and at an impasse about something , just say “Good question, you know this is really more of Mr. Sell Morecars forte. Let’s go ask him, follow me."

I hope that helped. I’ll proof read in the morning.

oneday.jpg

Reactions: 1 person