• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

PR & News NADA 2024 - Roll Call

1st NADA so I have no reference, but it was eye-opening for the folks I brought from Vonage with me.

Our team often works in a horizontal nature understanding use cases, not industries. I'm glad I made a point of and got the support to focus specifically on Automotive.

@craigh is absolutely right that there is a consolidation of vendors versus a couple years ago. I think it's good and bad. Good, platforms are opening up and partnering to solve for a better experience. Bad, some may be taking shortcuts and slapping a "integrated" tag on the partnership to keep up.

In the integration trend, there seems to be a hesitation to leveraging parts of the retail journey one could or should own...namely, data activation (or communication).

The current focus is that either you supply the data or you supply the communication. In reality, all have a part to play there.

For those currently supplying the communication...they have some housekeeping to do under the hood. Platforms using SMS or Voice have tightly bound themselves to one provider and have felt the pain of that decision. Now the market has shifted and they have some work to do in order to be adaptive to the unknown.

In general, I feel optimistic that Automotive is exercising its entrepreneurial spirit to innovate, share, and improve.

Came back with a ton to work with names large and small. We'll be back in New Orleans. Looking forward to what comes between now and then.

Question…

Would you hate it if there was an in-app messaging element to the NADA app?

Other conferences I go to allow you to connect with other users that actually download the app. It’s helpful.

This isn’t world changing, but could allow those that want to connect that weekend to live in that app to do so…then decide if it makes sense to swap info after.

There are obvious risks of trolls, but thats what “block” is for.

There is zero money in it for the supplier of the tech, but is it a good idea if I could make that happen?

In fact, NADA could program itself without me. I just don’t know if they are thinking about the upside of engaging with an app that right now is only useful for a floor plan or schedule.

I don't know the app, but this might be a good idea depending on what the app does.
What all does that app do? Does it do geofencing? I worked for Freeman and they were developing an app when I left. This company does events like Sema (staging, lighting, etc ...).

Why not build something yourself and become the default go to app for events like this?

It’s an app that NADA releases seemingly every year specifically for the show. It’s not terrible, but basic.

Wouldn’t make good business sense to build it yourself (or for them to overbuild it) given it is dedicated to one weekend.

Not sure if they even build it themselves.

Though, for the spirit of the event…it would make sense for exhibitors/attendees to not depend on segmented comms or Martiz scanners. I came back with a smattering of business cards, texts, LinkedIn messages, emails, badge pictures…it was a bit ridiculous.

Instead…you could download the app, connect with others in the app, message each other, ignore each other. Enabling the camera to scan QRs would add connections.

You could get notifications when someone is on the way to the booth or wants to grab a beer…so on

I don't think they build it themselves. "GARDNER BUSINESS MEDIA INC." was listed on the page.

You came back with what I was expecting and what could be done in app.
And you are thinking similarly to what I was thinking.
I called it a digital rolodex though.

You could also geolocate the contact so that you can go back later and try to remember which booth they were in or on the floor.

The QR code makes sense too!

This way if you did it like this you don't have to hand out cards and such. The app would have your professional bio and allows you to share your choice of contact method: text, email, phone, linkedIn, OnlyFans ...

Using a QR code, you could hook it up to link shortner and then do the scammy thing and harvest number of shares, with who, and such.

It's time for linkedIn to be disrupted back to it's original intent.

I wish I did mobile. This would be pretty simple to plan out.

Actually, if the event doesn't provide this, it would make sense to have an outside system.

Digital Rolodex powered by DealerRefresh

My thought is to just go were the adoption is with already existing app.

The event already supports an app. If you're at the event use the event's app to connect with people while at the event. After the event, figure it out.

Balancing temporary access, but still having privacy would be the goal.

Collision Conference has a good example of this...simple profiles, connects, messages. That's it.

APP - ‎Collision 2023

Reactions: Carsten
The team and I made it to NADA this year. It was my first show, but it was great.

We were led by a friend of ours who has an expanded network in the industry, so it made the trip worth a damn.

The after parties were awesome to be at and get the chance to shake the hands and network with many professionals.

There was a session there that went into detail about the CARS rule released by the FTC, that was one of the more salient sessions in my opinion.

I have been to Las Vegas many times and can't stand the strip, that would be my only negative comment about the weekend at NADA lol.