• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

need to vent

thunder8671

Full Sticker + Prep
Aug 22, 2012
First Name
Marketing Manager
First off, I am glad that there is a venue like DealerRefresh available. I love the idea of sharing ideas with other people on the Internet side of dealership life. Now to why I have to vent. I currently work at a dealership in the Philadelphia market. We sell a couple different makes and we have been having record months so far this year for our dealership. The BDC has grown business a lot since I started in there going from 15% of the cars sold a month as a direct result to almost 30%. I would be happy seeing the department grown but I’m not. I know we can do a lot better. We have a 3 person department with the 2 other people being new. Instead of having time to train them, I have become the store IT guy. Now I don’t mind being a team player or helping our from time to time, but to have to leave out and fix computers instead of helping the new employees. Add to the fact that I have to update the website, follow analytics, handle all of the reputation management, social media it’s a tough balancing act. To make matters worse, I’m not even the manager (officially) of the department. And the cherry on top is my pay is a base salary plus a bonus on whatever cars I was assigned were sold. To be fair, I get about $100 more than the base salary of hat my counterparts in my department make but for all of this I could be doing even more follow up and subsequently have already made less than one coworker. I tried to going to manager but it’s sometimes like talking to a brick wall. And the moment I talk about being a manager, it’s like it is a curse word because it would mean more pay. I have so many more ideas that I would love to implement there but because of lack of time (I usually work 6 days a week to try to keep up and work almost 10 hours a day) I cannot do what I want. And the ideas that I usually have that need management buy in are pushed to the side or told we don’t have the money but yet when we add something else to the dealership our department sees cuts. I’ve heard that you want to act like the job you want and I want to be an Internet/BDC Manager but it is just getting completely frustrating. I just don’t see why management at dealerships don’t buy in. The Internet is growing and it’s not just a passing fad like the Wildcat Offense in football or Harlem Shake videos (which the ones on here I saw were funny). It’s just tough. Thank you guys for providing this forum again. I hope everyone has a great end of the month.

Two words. Five Letters. A Fraction of a Tweet.

It sounds so simple, but it's your truth. Without Buy In from the very top of your organization, your ideas will have a hard time being realized and your motivation will continue to turn to frustration.

Just to reiterate what was mentioned above, it's my humble opinion that you seek out a dealership or automotive group that "gets it". You may have to go back to the beginning, but you'll be placed on a path that will lead to success.

3 years ago (almost to the day), I was exactly where you are. I made an intentional choice to move on from a dealer group stuck in the digital stone-age to one who was more progressive and on the leading edge. Fast forward to today, and my world is full of promise and opportunity because I'm surrounded by peers, colleagues and ownership who Get It and more importantly, Buy In.

Good luck in your journey, and if you need a hand with anything don't hesitate to reach out to the community here on Dealer Refresh.

Reactions: 2 people
While I don't entirely disagree with many of the responses so far, I would propose a first course of action before looking for greener pastures. WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN for your department and get it to your GM and DP. They probably have little knowledge of what you do or the value you could bring to the company. So write out a well thought out plan and get it to the people in the organization that can and will make decisions. Think of it as a "My Vision of the Future" type of document. What do you want to do... What resources do you need... What are your financial projections... What's the ROI... What are the potential pitfalls... Why are YOU the guy to get this done and implement the plan... ETC...

Don't ask to be a manager... Start acting like a manager and a leader... Leaders write plans that they can be held accountable to... If this doesn't get Upper Managements' attention then you can start looking for a different organization...

Just sayin'

Reactions: 1 person