• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Netbooks- next Blackberry?

sburges2

3rd Base Coach
Oct 24, 2009
First Name
Susan
Need some help researching what solutions are working these days...I come from using Blackberry and the last dealership I left, they were all going to iPhone.

Now I see Netbook can do all except call the customer, yet I'd be able to look online while looking on the internet- which was always difficult unless I put the customer on speaker while I browsed or sit down at a PC.

Other bonus? It does web chat/mail/etc and it's built-in. In dealership Skype-ing anyone?

Looking for thoughts reviews suggestions, etc!

I too have been considering a netbook. Yes, I have considered an iphone but I don't know if I can get away from my blackberry.

I've been looking at the following...

Dell Mini Netbooks: Colorful, Small, Light Weight

N310 Sunset Orange Samsung Go? Sunset Orange (N310-13GO) - Netbooks - Mobile Computing | SAMSUNG

HP Mini - Ultra-mobile Computers

Seems as if the standard size is 10" but I would actually like to find one a little smaller. I know Asus Eee PC was available in a smaller form factor but I can't seem to find them anymore.

I have the Dell version Jeff linked to. Its fine, but it is what it is, just a really small laptop.

IMHO the future is going to be Tablets. Ive seen Microsoft Surface in action and its awesome.

apple_tablet.jpg

Thank you both! I really value both of yours insight and suggestions. Matt- trust me, I'd love for everyone (except me) to be a Mac, however companies are having to cut so many expenses and cell phone usage is one of those "high expenses first cut" areas, whereas the mobility of the Netbook seems to really be drawing me to it.
Especially the cost- I take it the cell phone cost would be cut out and now I'd only have wi-fi charges, right?
Now would the cell phone service (At&t, Verizon, CellularSouth, etc) Netbook or the go online to BestBuy and order a Dell Mini be better?
Here's my main questions based on our industry:
Am I understanding that I'd be able to log into any Internet based ILM/CRM and update though?
Would I be able to log into Internet based website backend tools and make adjustments?
Would I be able to VPN the Outlook from my desktop to the Netbook?

Ooooooo....there's a shiny thingy I want...lol! Yes, I agree, that's where we're heading, yet what about the now?

I used a Tablet PC at a dealership I worked at about a year ago. It was a Toshiba Portege 3500. We used Dealersocket, which integrated with our ADP DMS, and did live e-pencils in front of the customer. I thought it would have been great if we had a bluetooth printer that we could print the finished, agreed-upon 4 square and have the customer sign that. Old fashioned pen on paper still feels more legitimate somehow, don't you think?

I too have been considering a netbook. Yes, I have considered an iphone but I don't know if I can get away from my blackberry.

I've been looking at the following...

Dell Mini Netbooks: Colorful, Small, Light Weight

N310 Sunset Orange Samsung Go? Sunset Orange (N310-13GO) - Netbooks - Mobile Computing | SAMSUNG

HP Mini - Ultra-mobile Computers

Seems as if the standard size is 10" but I would actually like to find one a little smaller. I know Asus Eee PC was available in a smaller form factor but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Dell is going to come out with a 5" one based on the Google Android OS