• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Study Shows Facebook Ads Help Sell Cars

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
facebook_car_brand_influence.jpg

A recent study revealed that those pesky ads running non stop on Facebook's right side DO actually influence car buyers (and, aren't as pesky as previously thought).

The study, initialed by Facebook, performed by comScore Action Lift, showed that not only do Facebook ads positively increase shopper's behavior; it decreases the appeal of the competition.

That's significant information!

Read the full article here and tell me:
Have you ever clicked on a Facebook ad?
Has an ad ever influenced you to visit a website?
Does your dealership allocate dollars to Facebook ads?
If so, have you found success?

If that is the comparison we're going to use... let's continue to spend money on billboards, sponsoring highways.... etc...

I don't buy it. I think at best, Facebook is a great place for a strong branding message at the account level. I am pretty unsold on being able to heavily influence a buyers mentality through the premier social network. With that said, the ads are relatively cheap. We have tried them. And everything works to a certain extent.

+1 on this study being bogus.
If it was independent that would be one thing, but even then the logic isn't there.

With the number of users going mobile exclusive on Facebook I see this being even less important.
I don't believe Facebook ads are at a point where they're being implemented properly. Promoted tweets, although still ineffective in many ways, seem to be a better example of advertisement integration into a social network.

It depends on your market. In our market within 30 miles there's a large down swing in who uses Facebook vs. Twitter, etc. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a car via Twitter, maybe it's because it's so busy and I'm more into sports and the break downs of my lists.

Selling cars on Facebook works (I sell at least 6-8 per month via Facebook). I'm not the norm however, just lucky to have a good network. People buy from people, so having individual sales people "sell" via social media IMO works much better. We're however behind the times in the Midwest, we will find out in 5 years....ha. I would say that most of the dealerships I follow via Facebook don't know how to sell cars on Facebook...and their goal shouldn't be to sell a car on Facebook, but instead start a conversation.

This has been one of my more viral posts in the past recent months. Something more to laugh and cringe about vs. selling something.
Example: 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 wrecked by Delaware dealer while in for service - Autoblog

Reactions: 1 person
+1 on this study being bogus.
If it was independent that would be one thing, but even then the logic isn't there.

With the number of users going mobile exclusive on Facebook I see this being even less important.
I don't believe Facebook ads are at a point where they're being implemented properly. Promoted tweets, although still ineffective in many ways, seem to be a better example of advertisement integration into a social network.

Agreed, Twitter has the edge at the moment. My money is still on Facebook as it's the largest market and the active users are less internet savvy than Twitter. I think there's a lot to be gained from companies actively marketing through Facebook. Thinking a lot about this lately.

Agreed, Twitter has the edge at the moment. My money is still on Facebook as it's the largest market and the active users are less internet savvy than Twitter. I think there's a lot to be gained from companies actively marketing through Facebook. Thinking a lot about this lately.

I have also been looking into this quite a bit.
Unfortunately, every time we have tried this the results have been essentially null.

I believe Facebook works great for media (ie: movies and music) and when using the interests engine to show ads based on things I've actually shown interest in (ie: I see car parts ads all the time and sometimes happily click them). I'm finding it more difficult to create dealership based ads that catch the eye and enough interest to solicit a click..