• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

OEM Site...Fight or Submit?

Chris and I worked together on the domain switcharoo when moving his site to DI. We took the "seasoned" domain and pointed a brand-new one to the CDK site he was trying to bury. If you've got a few URL's that have gained links and authority, you can use those, no problem. You'll need to create a domain strategy to help overcome not having access to the primary (which we've always helped dealers with).

I know what you're saying, Bruce, and really appreciate your input. It sounds like GM has a different set of rules than FCA, though. We don't own the "seasoned" domain, FCA does (by authority of our Digital Dealer Agreement with them that has yet to be sent to me) and they will only point it at the DDC site.

I wanted to add to the discussion here of having multiple websites. To jump right to the point:

In nearly every case, having multiple websites is harmful, not helpful.

With every additional website, you increase your cost, time and effort to keep the sites updated, and amount of duplicate content on the web. Keep in mind that Google penalizes sites for having duplicate content, as it creates a poor user experience.

The only scenario I've ever heard of where multiple websites (for the same business) make sense are if the business has very different categories of products or services. For instance, it may make sense for a dealership that sells autos and parts to have a website for each category.

But having two or more websites for the same dealership, with the same NAP, the same basic content, the same inventory - not good.

There are likely a few exceptions to this general rule, but they remain exactly that: exceptions.

Some further reading:

Last edited: