• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Open Source Screen Recorder

Mitch Gallant

Refresh Team
Apr 6, 2009
Awards
First Name
Mitch
Although not an automotive specific tool I have put screen recording to use when creating videos for internal auto group communication. I've only had it a few days but the possibilities are screaming at me. Recording the screen and your voice while presenting your website in a static video to be hosted on your site, emailed or whatever the case may be... I'm really excited - I've thought about it before and even went as far as downloading some demo's which end up costing between $40 and $300 but free is always going to take the cake, especially when the results are the same!

Alright, here's the link - CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software

Make sure to install the lossless codec for best results and if you do any post editing make sure to save it at the highest possible quality - regardless of size so if you upload to YouTube you can utilize the HQ settings and maintain legible print.

Give me some feedback, what would you use this for???

Cheers!

Cool, I've heard Camtasia is amazing. I will check out there website to see what they propose for screen recording best practices and uses.

I'm still very excited about the open source program. I'm really interested in finding out what minds in the car business would find this stuff useful for, whether it be the $299 Camtasia or the $0 CamStudio.

Fill me in!

Cheers