• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Opinions on video in car listings

Jul 19, 2024
Awards
First Name
Deborah
Hi, I am a journalist at AIM Group (which writes about auto marketplaces). I am writing a profile of LESA/Imagine Autos, which provides AI-based video to accompany car listings. The founder says that although video in a car listing would be really helpful and modern, most dealerships are change resistant and stick to photos. Related to that, I would like insight from a dealer perspective - why video in auto listings is not more widespread, what dealers think of it, etc. Any comments to shed light on this would be greatly appreciated!

Largest Used Car Dealers by Sales Volume 2023:
  1. CarMax - no videos
  2. Carvana - no videos
  3. Drivetime - no videos
  4. EchoPark - no videos
  5. carshop - no videos
All of these dealers have the technology and infrastructure to easily implement videos on every single car today if they wanted to. But they haven't, they've stuck with 360 spins. What does that tell you?

Don't get me wrong, videos are great as a first response to build rapport and tailor the video to each customer.

But a 30 second walkaround video with a robot voiceover reading off a barrage of VIN decoded features (intermittent wipers, telescoping steering wheel, auxiliary jack) is not valuable.

I'm not saying that's what LESA's videos are, but that's what they have been historically in our industry (or even worse just a photo slideshow turned into a "video") and its trained customers to ignore videos.

Not to mention, the majority of customers have their audio turned off, so what benefit does a video provide over a 360 spin? 360 spins give the customer the control to easily explore the vehicle at the pace they prefer.

My recommendation:
  1. Use engaging videos to target top and middle funnel buyers at the model-line level to move them down the funnel to your VIN-specific inventory
  2. Use high quality photos & 360 spins at the individual VIN level to win the click and lead
  3. Use personalized videos in your lead responses to win the appointment and sale

most dealerships are change resistant and stick to photos.

2 related topics FYI:
"Price, Price, Price, Drop that Price! Auto dealers were once the kings of creative retailing."
Auto dealers were once the kings of creative retailing.
Before the internet, Dealers were the most creative marketers & merchandisers to walk the planet. Dealers obsession about internet lead gen has empowered them to FORCE vendors to 'send me more leads or you will get cut'.

Dealer's that upgrade their merchandising take share and generate higher profits:
Joe Pistell on LinkedIn: This is the next frontier in Auto Retail.
1721403323963.png

Automotive has no shopping cart, so, dealers can't 'see' the impact of superior merchandising turn into profits (i.e. pro pics, videos, spins, etc).

Brave pioneering dealers instinctively know their shoppers and don't need some data wonk to validate their thesis (i.e. Cover Your Ass)

/end rant
Joe

Reactions: Ryan Everson
If you run across a dealer using videos on every VDP, it's usually due to one of these reasons:
  1. "Video SEO" - The video company pitched the dealer on how videos will blow up their SEO and they'll get tens of thousands of YouTube video views. They'll even share a few select examples with you where that's true. Then you launch, and you realize you're lucky if a video gets more than 10 views on YouTube.
  2. $300 Monthly Bill - Dealers have a tendency to not cancel vendors below the $300 monthly threshold, which is where many of the antiquated photo slideshow "video" vendors come in at. So their office is still blindly paying the bill 8 years after initially signing up because it flies under the radar.
  3. Third Party Ranking Algorithm - At one time, many of the third party marketplaces included photo quantity and the existence of a video in their ranking algorithm so dealers naturally gamed it. Nowadays third party marketplace algorithms have become more sophisticated.

There are 2 things that jump to mind to me. Quality and Call to Action.

1) We don't produce videos of high enough quality to actually add value for the guest, at a mid to lower point in the funnel

2) We don't have a reliable way to put the video in front of customers on the VDP in a natural way that compels customers that this is in fact a video they should watch, (back to quality) and then builds value in the right things to help the customer take some next steps.

I often think about and visit revzilla when I get on a video kick and then I have a cry and give up...

I would absolutely love to pull this off. The people, process, consistency and strategy to do it is not a small hurdle to clear when it's really a bet that it actually helps sell cars.

There's no doubt in my mind of DISC=YES but the formula is important. The muck about to get it right and produce the right content is illusive to me... (help!? LOL)

Reactions: Ryan Everson
Are these photo companies more interested in helping the dealer convert their VDP traffic into more leads and sales?

Or are they using it as an easy way to boost their revenue from $20 /car for photos, to $35 / car for photos + video - with little extra time being required? If anything, it's more time consuming to take good photos than a quick walkaround video with no audio.

Ultimately as dealers, we have to let the data and results determine whether it's a worthwhile venture.

And I'll just go back to this:
  1. CarMax - no videos
  2. Carvana - no videos
  3. Drivetime - no videos
  4. EchoPark - no videos
  5. carshop - no videos
^ They base their decisions on data and results.

You also have to factor in the page speed and UI/UX issues that many of these photo company video players introduce into a dealer's website. The ones I've come across aren't exactly pretty, modern, easy to use, or fast - so it could could actually have the opposite effect and lower your website's conversion rate. Something to consider, not just with photo company video players, but any script or tool you add to your site.

Hi, I am a journalist at AIM Group (which writes about auto marketplaces). I am writing a profile of LESA/Imagine Autos, which provides AI-based video to accompany car listings. The founder says that although video in a car listing would be really helpful and modern, most dealerships are change resistant and stick to photos. Related to that, I would like insight from a dealer perspective - why video in auto listings is not more widespread, what dealers think of it, etc. Any comments to shed light on this would be greatly appreciated!
Hey! As a former car salesperson, I can offer some insight on why video in auto listings isn't more widespread.

Dealerships are often slow to adopt new tech due to cost, lack of resources, and prioritizing traditional methods. Some might also fear video will highlight flaws or imperfections. Without industry standards, they're unsure about best practices.

From a sales perspective, video would be super helpful, but dealerships have valid concerns. If LESA/Imagine Autos can address these pain points, they might win over more dealerships.

Hey all,

New here :)

I find this thread interesting as I work at tech company that sells live video chat. Keen to hear all of your perspectives on whether this is more appealing than a video on an advert? For example, I'm looking online and I see a car I like, can I then connect with a Sales person in the showroom the car is located to talk to them in more detail about the car and see it live?

We have some UK dealerships already using us but not managed to crack the US market yet. Would this be a tool folks would be comfortable with?

Thanks,
Vicky

Reactions: Jeff Kershner