• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Photo's how, why, and what to show

Broderick Alley

Lot Lizard
Dec 4, 2013
First Name
Broderick
I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how they take photos of their inventory. I have been doing this for over 13 years and I have my way of doing it. I always do every car the same way. I try and get between 35 and up photos of every car. I will take photos of minor defects on the car. I will then explain the defect in the comments. I try to give the customer complete knowledge of the car.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Broderick,

Taking the photos the same way all the time
Taking photos of minot defects
Explaining the defects
Taking 35 photos
Complete knowledge of the car

Is probably 99% of what you need to get done.
The only things I would add on top of that but that could be open for discussion:

Have a good overlay (dealer's name/logo, phone number, etc)
Do at least a walk around video of the product (even if no voice)
Add a few extra automated photos at the end of the sequence with a map to the dealer, who you guys are, etc

Reactions: 3 people
I think you are doing right things in regards to your photos. I have taken photos for Dealer Specialties for many years and have trained many of the greats. Here are my recommendations:

Use the Right Camera
- Use a dSLR or compact system camera with high quality manual lens. Use an external high powered flash to eliminate interior shadows.
Take the Right Photos- I have proven many a time that I can give the consumer more information with lets say 20 photos than the next person with 40. Know what your are taking pictures of every time and make the photos relevant to what a consumer may be looking for. If you are random photo snapping to hit a number than you are failing.
Showcase the options-Goes hand in hand in hand with taking the right photos. Car photos are a platform for more information on a particular vehicle. Display the options so a customer can verify equipment.
Clarity/Quality-Photos must not be blurry. Photos must not have sunspots. Also time of day greatly effects quality of photos. Early morning/late evening photos alter colors and display more shadows try to adjust your photo taking times to optimize quality.

There is a lot that goes into great car photos. I think you are doing the right things. If you want you can send me a link to your photos and I can critique them for you if you would like.

Reactions: 3 people

Use the Right Camera
- Use a dSLR or compact system camera with high quality manual lens. Use an external high powered flash to eliminate interior shadows.

Have you ever used a dSLR? Your pictures will be any wheres between 3MB-10MB per picture at a high resolution. 35 pictures per car may be between 105MB to 350MB. Photographing 10 cars can easily be 1GB+. Uploading those massive files to the Inventory Management System is absolutely going to create many problems including timeouts. Plus most Inventory Software also adds overlays to the images which require the picture to be loaded in to the memory to perform any sort of image editing. Your picture is going to be resized and compressed automatically before it reaches your web site and vendors. Using a DSLR may be overkill. I suggest a GOOD standard digital camera with perhaps a nice fixed lens.

Have you ever used a dSLR? Your pictures will be any wheres between 3MB-10MB per picture at a high resolution. 35 pictures per car may be between 105MB to 350MB. Photographing 10 cars can easily be 1GB+. Uploading those massive files to the Inventory Management System is absolutely going to create many problems including timeouts. Plus most Inventory Software also adds overlays to the images which require the picture to be loaded in to the memory to perform any sort of image editing. Your picture is going to be resized and compressed automatically before it reaches your web site and vendors. Using a DSLR may be overkill. I suggest a GOOD standard digital camera with perhaps a nice fixed lens.

Yes I have used many different dslrs. It's all about using the correct settings for the inventory management system you are using. For instance dealer specialities autostik software is not affected by the large data files. So you can shoot the photos at full size. If using vauto you want to shoot at let's say 4 megapixels instead of the 16 megapixels your dslr camera is capable of to achieve smaller files. The size of the file is not determined by the type of camera but the size you are shooting photos in. I can achieve bigger files from my point and shoot cameras over dslrs by changing the settings. Using a dslr will net a better quality photo over a point and shoot even if you are shooting at a small photo size.

First, Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope you have a safe Holiday...

I want to preface my comments with I have mentioned this before and I do not want to come across as though I am pimpin out another vender... eBay does a pretty good meeting which discusses best practices with respect to vehicle pictures. Ebay also produces a book which describes in detail every picture/angel you should consider -- recommends 40 pics.

I would also mention that I do not like anything to detract from the vehicle proper. As an example of best practices I use New and Used Ford Dealer in Vernon | Vernon Ford

Love all of the techniques and tips listed here. Spot on across the board. The only thing that I would add is that we had the "standard 1-3 shots" but we would make sure that photo #4 was the "personality shot" of the car. Then, we'd continue on for about 30 more standard shots.

The personality shot was what we considered to be the most important shot of the car. It could be the vehicle from a strange view, for example a shot down through the sunroof into the cabin. Action shots are nice as well with features. For example, instead of just taking a picture of the rear view camera screen, put it to work. Have a guy pushing a baby carriage behind the car as you're taking the shot of the screen.

If the car was a normal, no frills, nothing-to-it type of vehicle, we would try to get it at a clever angle or with something interesting in the background. Imagine parking it close to the building with the dealership marquis in the background and taking a shot from the ground level looking up along the side.

Props work as well. An empty trunk means nothing regardless of how big it is. Throw a set of golf clubs in it. Cupholders? Put a huge drink in it that wouldn't fit in most cars. Recline the passenger seat all the way back and have someone sleeping comfortably in it.

Get their attention with the fourth shot. Consistency is key for all of the other shots, but believe it or not people will look at more of your inventory items if you put some creativity into the fourth shot. Clicks on that shot went through the roof and we would have people come in and mention the shot to their salesperson.

Sadly, I just checked the website of my old dealership and I see they stopped doing it. Unfortunate. I know the camera guy hated me but he was the dealer's grandson so I had a captive audience.

Jay,

Unless you live in Montana uploading pics is not a problem anymore.

Our guys do 35-40 cars a day X20-30 photos per car (800ish photos average) with a dSLR in the 2-3MB per photo (more than that is not useful on the web for most dealers).

To me, this is the best dealer photos/comments/video/ that I have seen (and I have seen a lot of sites!). Of course their inventory is also extraordinary:

Active Inventory | RK Motors Charlotte | Collector and Classic Cars