• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Predator alert | How much info is safe to provide to a stranger?

emilymoore

Boss
Feb 21, 2011
Awards
First Name
Emily
Our typical response to a customer's vehicle request not only includes information about the car, but also a good deal of personal info. We provide our name, where we work, the hours we are there, our cell#, a photo... I honestly never really gave it much thought that someone would mis-use this information until recently. After receiving the following responses, it really started to make me question just how much information we should provide to a complete stranger. Once they have it, you can't get it back.

Hey I'm home now if you want to come over I'll make your day all better :) slow caressing you with my mouth til you orgasm so hard and relieve all that stress..let me know I'm home getting a shower

Sent from my iPad

Followed up with:

So did you think about what I said earlier wouldn't that feel so good. .just woke up long night at work thinking about you. .:) giving you an amazing orgasm. ... wanna taste every drop as you cum in my mouthi wish u would text back and fourth soon i hope I'll wait to hear from you have a great day

I have also had an increasing number of chats go in this direction. They start out discussing the vehicle of interest and in exchanging information the conversation suddenly takes a wrong turn. It really is kind of creepy that these guys know what I look like, where I work, when I work, what i sound like on the phone, and because it is a public place have every right to show up.

So how much information should we be sending to complete strangers? Your thoughts?

Our typical response to a customer's vehicle request not only includes information about the car, but also a good deal of personal info. We provide our name, where we work, the hours we are there, our cell#, a photo... I honestly never really gave it much thought that someone would mis-use this information until recently. After receiving the following responses, it really started to make me question just how much information we should provide to a complete stranger. Once they have it, you can't get it back.

Followed up with:

I have also had an increasing number of chats go in this direction. They start out discussing the vehicle of interest and in exchanging information the conversation suddenly takes a wrong turn. It really is kind of creepy that these guys know what I look like, where I work, when I work, what i sound like on the phone, and because it is a public place have every right to show up.

So how much information should we be sending to complete strangers? Your thoughts?

haha, this guys is a huge creep! I mean I'm definitely guilty of looking up a vendor that sounds attractive on the phone... who hasn't? But this is a whole new level!

My thoughts on your current situation is, just stop talking to this guy. He's not going to buy a car from you, and if you cut off communication with him, he should go away. If he shows up to the office looking for you, call the police. There are a bunch of crazies out there... be careful.

Cell phone number might be a little to much. Unless its a work cellphone that the company provides, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that out.

Have you guys done any testing to find out if all the personal information helps at all? When I'm buying a car, i usually don't give a hoot who the person selling the car to me is... I just care about the car.

Obviously, my only response to this was a cease and desist letter back (but I cant retract the info already given to him). My point is, he is not the only one out there and as I said, more and more chats are going down this road because of anonymity. It is not an isolated event. And, what if he shows up at the dealership to stalk some more? I don't know what he looks like? Or even what his real name is? I don't mean to come across as paranoid, but I also do not want to be naive/stupid. There are a lot of other young ladies out there answering leads that might want to take a look at what they are sending...

If you're really concerned about this stuff, first you should set your social media accounts to private. Also, talk with the person who is making you send out these personal emails with a photo, cell number, and hours you're working. I see that you're trying to be a personal in the response and let the customer feel comfortable... but if its making you uncomfortable and questioning your safety, maybe you should rethink this policy? You're trying to sell cars, do they really have to see what you look like in order to do that?

Not to scare you, but i did a very very brief search on facebook and found your profile... Protect yourself. Set things to private, and maybe use a first name and middle name like a lot of people do on facebook.

There are a ton of creeps out there, you found one of them. Again, protect yourself, get some mace or a LTC.