• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Pricing your used car - retail price vs internet price and amount of discount

I can get up tomorrow, go over to Enterprise car sales in Bogota and buy 20 2011 Impala LSs, and if buy all the brown and gold ones I bet I can get em a little cheaper too. I can put them online with 8 or 9 photos, use a canned description, mark 'em up $4,000 each and sit back and wait.

And wait

And wait

And wait....

And I had better bring my iPad charger with me to work because everyone is going to be waiting in line to play crazy birds on it.

DAMN! You nailed OUR business model!
217 used 2010-2011 Impalas for sale: Used Chevrolet Impalas For Sale | Syracuse, Utica, Binghamton, Rochester, Central New York hahaha, loved that Crazy Birds line, great stuff Bill!!

We forget how EVERYWHERE our customers are. You can sell a car on your front lawn, a dirt lot, a big ass car lot, or, on no lot what so ever(i.e. craigslist).

Ol' Uncle Joe has been around and sold a lot of things that ain't easy to sell. I've sold vaccuum cleaners door to door, Cell phones BEFORE the towers went up, created a big ass high end car customizing biz that morphed into designing and installing Home Theaters and home automation way back in 1992 (BEFORE AL Gore invented the internet). Somewhere in there, I spent 2 awful years selling Verizion Yellow pages*.

Selling cars if by far the richest, most robust market i've ever seen. Demand is universal and it never stops coming (cars wear out fast!! :) You gotta spend some time selling Yellow Pages or Carpet Cleaning door to door to appreciate how AWESOME this market is. On the retail side, try building a small Home Appliance and TV store while customers bring in Best Buy flyers with prices UNDER YOUR COST.

In our case, We're a "Pile 'em High and Watch 'em fly" retailer. We sell cars not by the keen analysis of a sniper, but by wild-eyed carpet bombing. We'll turn those 200+ impalas in 45-60 days.

* and I didn't mention my FCC Radio Repair licence or my 2 years as a truck driver or my 7 years as a self employed stock trader