• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Procurement - MB Netstar and Win 7

Hoib

Rust & Dust
Dec 9, 2009
First Name
Hoib
I hope there might be at least a couple of Merc Benz dealers on here. I also have an additional post/question about procuring equipment (as yet no replies). Have any of you MB dealers been able to have Netstar work under Win 7? We're told by the MB Netstar Help Desk that they don't know when Win 7 will be supported and that Win XP is the only officially supported OS. We think if you get it to work with Win 7 - fine, but woe is you if you try to call for help. That leaves me very uncomfortable.

So, because no one at Netstar wants to or cares to tell us where or when, we're faced with a dilemma - purchase systems with Win 7, installing and risk not having support or purchase systems with Win 7 and downgrading to XP, only having to turn around some time later and re-apply Win 7 - a huge increment of time down the tube.

If anyone can share an experience or two, it might help us sort out what direction to travel. Perhaps there's a MB rep (like I see an R&R rep helping in another thread) who might like to chime in???

Off the top - I'm thinking purchase with Win 7 and downgrade to assure the new gear at least works. Then take the hit later on when the upgrade is needed.

Thanks.

H

I hope there might be at least a couple of Merc Benz dealers on here. I also have an additional post/question about procuring equipment (as yet no replies). Have any of you MB dealers been able to have Netstar work under Win 7? We're told by the MB Netstar Help Desk that they don't know when Win 7 will be supported and that Win XP is the only officially supported OS. We think if you get it to work with Win 7 - fine, but woe is you if you try to call for help. That leaves me very uncomfortable.

So, because no one at Netstar wants to or cares to tell us where or when, we're faced with a dilemma - purchase systems with Win 7, installing and risk not having support or purchase systems with Win 7 and downgrading to XP, only having to turn around some time later and re-apply Win 7 - a huge increment of time down the tube.

If anyone can share an experience or two, it might help us sort out what direction to travel. Perhaps there's a MB rep (like I see an R&R rep helping in another thread) who might like to chime in???

Off the top - I'm thinking purchase with Win 7 and downgrade to assure the new gear at least works. Then take the hit later on when the upgrade is needed.

Thanks.

H

What about using the XP mode within Windows 7? You need Windows 7 Professional to use it I think. Basically runs a virtual XP box within 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Hi Matt -

Yes I know about Win 7 and its vitual machine technology. Actually, that's what I was thinking of EXCEPT... MB is so bound to the browser, we'd really need to investigate using it thoroughly and carefully. There may not be time before the end of the year for that. I also find that you risk MB Netstar not talking to you if you have a config that is any different than what they specify. Deviate one bit outside of the spec and before they discuss and concerns or problem, they will "make you" revert to their spec. Otherwise, don't call back. At least this is what we've encountered so far. Maybe now they might be a little more forgiving because Win 7 is out on the street, but again, on the phone, they profess the party line (and they have to, I understand).

Obviously, no one wants to buy a bunch of computers only to have them not work or not be supported. I just wish they (Netstar) would have been more prepared for the transition to Win 7 and be able to tell us, straight up, what their plan is.

I do hope someone can drop by my other post on procurement and give us some ideas of what they've done in the purchasing area before.

Thanks Matt - one way or the other, the deal goes down this week!!!

H

What about using the XP mode within Windows 7? You need Windows 7 Professional to use it I think. Basically runs a virtual XP box within 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Yes, I'm aware of that feature. Thing is, will Netstar support that kind of config? I don't know and I can't get them to tell me on the phone at least if they will. Plus, I've never done that kind of config before so for me it would be a learning experience to say the least.

We have to pull the trigger soon to beat the end of year deadline. I hate making decisions in a vacuum. mY hope too is someone will see my post about raw procurement of machines and be able to hint at their experience.

Thanks Matt.

H