• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Recording how our customers heard about us ACCURATELY

Matthew Danskin

Full Sticker + Prep
Jan 11, 2013
First Name
Matt
We are really wanting to have an accurate picture of where our marketing dollars are being effective. We currently have our salespeople record the lead source on their worksheet but many are leaving it blank or not getting good info. How would you suggest extracting this information from the customers accurately on every sale?

My thoughts so far:
Ipad survey while waiting for finance
Follow up phone call survey

Ideas? Tips? Please don't try to sell me something.

I don't know how many sales your store has or the structure of your store. This is a question all dealers wish they could answer. Well, if they're not looking for the answer, they're not looking to grow effectively. Something to keep in mind is that even with emails and recorded calls, the final source may not have been the effective source (ZMOT idea -yeap I went there). I personally make a few follow up calls every week to thank them for purchasing and start a short conversation with them about how they went thru the shopping process and how we won their business. To give multiple sources credit for a sale is difficult-but is more actuate. The salesmen on the floor do not understand the need for the information and have no skin in getting the real answers. Finance is usually the real dentist's chair and though I can see how it may work, I don't think it's the place for the question to be asked. Making after the fact sourcing part of the follow up process along with making sure the customer is happy and asking for a review, will give you the best results. However, what about the unsold prospects? When implementing the data you find on sourcing, remember it's a small piece of the whole puzzle. Also before working on how to gather the information, make sure you have a plan on how you will use the information.

From my experiences:

1. any vollentary data you ask your sales rep to collect on your customers "path to your store" will be filled with noise (read: junk)
  2. Avoid awarding the sale to a "single lead source". 50% of your shoppers were in market for > 3months and visited > 20 websites, they saw your marketing efforts and your competition. They a zillion TV commmercials, newspaper ads, magazine ads, billboards.... they talked to pals & relatives.
  3. Because of the comment above, tracing ALL of your lead sources and marketing dollars is impossible.
  4. The best gague of how well your marketing efforts are going is seen in your google analytics
    1. # of new visits
    2. # of returning visits
    3. # of VDPs seen
    4. Time on Site
    5. Referal Site Review
  5. Additionally, a simple post sale survey at delivery will help add more light to your marketing visibility. Search the forum here for a tidy lil post sale survey that posted about a year or 2 ago. I used for years and it gave me great insight into the shoppers road map to us. I HIGHLY reccommend surveygizmo.com for hosting your survey.

add'l note: BEWARE the questions you ask in the survey. If you have no professional experience in building a survey, its really really easy to ask questions based on your view of the world, which may puzzle your participants. Remember, they've been down a LONG LONG trip, their recall will be flawed. Don't get too granular.

Be prepared! your surveys made with the best intent can give you bad data and cause you YEARS of bad decsions.