• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

rel=author markup... Ever heard of this? This could help you on the SERPs

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
I'm curious if any of you guys have ever heard of this linking before. I was browsing around today and I found it. From my understanding, it's a way for Google to help identify the author of a link/page. So I googled "rel=author markup" and I found these results.
google_results.jpg

From reading about this subject, the link links to your google+ profile pic in the search results. I'm just wondering if I could link my dealership's google+ profile to show up in the SERP's by using this link on the pages of my websites. I'm thinking that if I could, it would for sure increase the click throughs. Also, this is the first time I've ever searched for this term and I have no idea who those ppl are in the screen shot. I am in no way affiliated at all with them or are they in any of my circles. They are just talking about the link. Here is what Google is saying: Author information in search results - Webmaster Tools Help and how to set up the links.

Here is the site I read about it on: Authorship Markup and SEO

It could be that I'm just way out of the loop and everyone is already using this. BTW, if any of you guys are using this, are you having any good results yet? Just curious.

Rick,

This is one of the most important SEO attributes you can apply to your content. If you have a blog, you need this added ASAP. Google has been looking for ways to rank quality content and especially quality content from trusted, authoritative authors.

I've had it on my blog for a couple of years now and it has helped my ranking, appearance within the SERP's and for verifying my G+ profile as well.

eric miltsch - Google Search.jpg

I'm curious if any of you guys have ever heard of this linking before. I was browsing around today and I found it. From my understanding, it's a way for Google to help identify the author of a link/page. So I googled "rel=author markup" and I found these results.
View attachment 1059

From reading about this subject, the link links to your google+ profile pic in the search results. I'm just wondering if I could link my dealership's google+ profile to show up in the SERP's by using this link on the pages of my websites. I'm thinking that if I could, it would for sure increase the click throughs. Also, this is the first time I've ever searched for this term and I have no idea who those ppl are in the screen shot. I am in no way affiliated at all with them or are they in any of my circles. They are just talking about the link. Here is what Google is saying: Author information in search results - Webmaster Tools Help and how to set up the links.

Here is the site I read about it on: Authorship Markup and SEO

It could be that I'm just way out of the loop and everyone is already using this. BTW, if any of you guys are using this, are you having any good results yet? Just curious.

Eric is right if you have a blog you need to implement the authorship markup. If you have questions on how to do that on our blog check out this blog post on How to Implement REL=Author Another recent development with authorship markup involves giving additional links in certain situations in how the searcher interacts with content with the authorship markup in place. AJ Kohn does a great job of explaining how this works in the following blog post Reading May Influence Authorank If you are on Google+ AJ is a good circle for how G+ effects SEO and how REL