• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reputation Management Comp Buying Likes?

Kelly Wilson

How can I help?
Oct 23, 2011
Awards
First Name
Kelly
:yell:After seeing the facebook likes for a popular digital company grow rapidly over the last few days, I would like to put it to the community: What Would You Do? See the full size image (for you lurkers) :poke:
wwUd.jpg

Do you look at how a vendor practices what they preach before signing up? Do you look at the numbers or what's behind the numbers? Promises to deliver are ok, but supporting them with inflated or false data is lying. Could this just be a case of hacking? What are your thoughts on this OEM preferred vendor and what you see here?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Agreed with Kevin. Not surprised at all, Kelly. Nice post!
They can buy likes, they can buy traffic to your site, they can buy anything to make themselves look good. I caught a significant decrease in my web traffic at my previous dealership. Once I did some good ole' research in Google Analytics, I found that the decrease was from countries like Africa, India, and China. Hmm... Then I tracked it back to a company that gets paid 100 for 100 more visitors... Sad but true! Make sure you question EVERY number and EVERY word in EVERY PITCH or CONRACT people! It'll save you the hassle of false numbers and paying for products that don't really help. :)

Update: After being called out be some people on their own page and on other social posts, this company removed all comments form questionable people and replied:
"Wow, yeah it sure does look that way, eh? Yes, these are def people who are bring paid to like FB pages, however we didn't buy them. In order to juke the FB algorithm, these spambots have to like and comment on all sorts of pages, not just the ones that they have been paid to like. This makes them appear more legit. Interesting, eh? Bummer for us though!""
Do you think think this response (13 hours) later is genuine? Is this how you want your reputation managed?

Last edited:
Update: After being called out be some people on their own page and on other social post, this company removed all comments form questionable people and replied:
"Wow, yeah it sure does look that way, eh? Yes, these are def people who are bring paid to like FB pages, however we didn't buy them. In order to juke the FB algorithm, these spambots have to like and comment on all sorts of pages, not just the ones that they have been paid to like. This makes them appear more legit. Interesting, eh? Bummer for us though!""
Do you think think this response 13 hours later is genuine?

GREAT JOB on this Kelly - this is huge. GM endorses a Reputation Management company, and look at the tactics they use. Wow, I think buying a thousand likes from someone in Indonesia is really going to help my Dealership here in the US. Wow, speechless...

I postponed my email to the Chevy dealer board about shoving the rep management on dealers. Kelly, you just gave me incentive and ammo to edit my email and send it to them about my concerns of this program. I am going to dig deeper. Send me some info, and if anyone else has it send it to me.

Kelly, is this perhaps the same company that has went against all best practices and has conducted themselves in an unprofessional manner here in DealerRefresh in the past?

Oh my! It could very well be! :rules: aren't always made to be broken and the ones unwritten but universally understood are all the more vital in this small and interconnected community. If a vendor's audience is a tech savvy population, they would know ploys like this would be found out. Soooo...

Does Anyone See

who is targeted by this company?

Does anyone think they may find themselves :2quiet:

Kelly,

The fact of the matter is consumers have a infinite amount information about any business at the touch of there finger tips and more and more are using this information wisely. This here is no longer a reputation priority but a public relation nightmare. I'd like to play devils advocate and state that you must always give the business the benefit of the doubt as unfortunately it may not have been hacking but sabotage by competitors have been a growing concern. As any internet marketer knows that such an obvious spike in rating is bound to raise red flags the only difference here was that someone pointed them out. Maybe it's an underhanded public service announcement for the industry by "Automotive News".

What ever happened to integrity and good ole' word of mouth?

"Mayhem" Whether real, hacking or sabotage, a reputation company taking over 13 to respond and the what in which they "Armstronged it" is worthy of conversation. The "ole' word of mouth" for this company is no better (noted by Jeff) and I can almost assure you that if not for the google alerts Automotive News has set, they would have never heard about this.

I know this topic has been brought up before, and most agree buying likes does no good. Heck, we are mostly in agreement likes gained by gimmicks but don't engage are also useless. But as lazy as many people are, how many look behind the curtain?

Reactions: 1 person