• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds Anti-Virus RAVS-2.0 nightmares

TFritz504

Green Pea
Apr 5, 2012
First Name
Thom
I was hired by the dealership to assist in the new anti-virus rollout intiative for Reynolds. I've had nothing but problems since install. My major problem was that we do not have a console like the one we had with Reynolds AV 1.0. I have no way of letting the dealership personnel know if there is a virus on their PC's.

I worked with the Reynolds TAC but they keep telling me that this feature is not available. I get the daily status report but this report is very vague and cannot tell me which computers are infected, which computers have spyware/adware. I had 1 PC that was infected and I didn't find out until I uninstalled the RAVS and loaded Malwarebytes.

My other issue is the Red X icon in the task tray. I was told that the server is updating but I see the Red X ALOT during the day. I didn't have this problem with Symantec.

Is anyone having the same RAVS nightmares? :yikes:

I'll be the first to hop in here even though I don't have adequate knowledge of the product. I've never heard of anybody installing RAVS, but I am interested in hearing anything about it. Pretty much the cost and the support you have.

As for the current problems you are having. I'm really not that surprised. Not to rip on Reynolds any, but sometimes the information that you want and/or need is just not there. Along with the support.

Also, if your job is just to roll-out the software. Can't you just install it and push the problems that are Reynolds related back to them .. ??

Reactions: JimTaylor
I'll be the first to hop in here even though I don't have adequate knowledge of the product. I've never heard of anybody installing RAVS, but I am interested in hearing anything about it. Pretty much the cost and the support you have.

As for the current problems you are having. I'm really not that surprised. Not to rip on Reynolds any, but sometimes the information that you want and/or need is just not there. Along with the support.

Also, if your job is just to roll-out the software. Can't you just install it and push the problems that are Reynolds related back to them .. ??

I have no information on the cost of the product but on the support piece I can write a book on the different issues.

The field tech comes in and shows me how to load the PC clients with the Sophos/RAVS/AV software. He gets my email address for the status report and that's it. No documentation, no walk-through on how the product works and how it scans....nothing. Its like they give me the new keys to my automobile and simply walk away. I had to call into the TAC just to find out when the AV scans - weekly?, bi-weekly? monthly?, yearly?

I'm critical about this because when the first RAVS 1.0 rolled out via Symantec v.10. It was simple...The Field Tech showed me how the Symantec Control Console worked. I would then remote control into the PC and peruse through on
  • what PC's had virus',
  • what PC's had time out of sync issues and
  • which ones were not up-to-date on AV signature updates.

These new "bot" viruses are critical to user data and have the ability to turn PC's into Zombies when it comes to hackers. I want something similar to what was used in the past with little to no user intervention. I call the service/parts guy up to take a PC off the network until I arrive to assist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Reynolds rolled out a new product. The Symantec v.10 was not compatible with Windows 7 PC's and I had to use the Symantec v.11 AV solution. But my time with this new product has been unbearable and I need availability to work with other customers. TAC keeps telling me that a PMR (God knows what that Acronym stands for) was created but I have yet to get any updates on my issues.

BTW - If I can find out the cost/dollar figure I will re-post.