• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Reynolds & Reynolds New Security?

As far as I understand this is all part of Reynolds new initiative to clean up DMS access and "secure" it against unauthorized users.

My understanding is that they are trying to prevent the types of automated downloads that companies used to run through Query Builder and instead make them pay for their unattended download service. Or license RCI, which is big money for Reynolds.

Here is the release from Reynolds. Has anyone heard anything about if there are options for dealers to disable these new features? Anyone know what is involved? Any dealers or people working with dealers that have successfully had these new features removed?

RCI eNews
Announcing ERA® Report Generator (6910) Functionality Enhancements

Reynolds is dedicated to providing valuable enhancements to ERA system functionality in an effort to ensure our features meet the ever-changing needs of our customers and our industry.

Did you know that you previously were unable to review what reports had been generated via your Report Generator tool, or who pulled them? We are pleased to announce that we are enhancing ERA Report Generator to address this, along with updated authentication tools.

There are two enhancements to be aware of:
The current functionality that requires users to answer a random access question is being updated to more current authentication technology. This new technology will function in a way that closely mirrors that used in other industries where users are accessing or providing sensitive data, such as in banking or on-line commerce. Rather than generating a question from a pre-determined set, Reynolds is upgrading to functionality that will require users to re-type a random “code†of data (letters and/or numbers) that appears on the screen. The underlying strength of this feature remains unchanged; users will simply experience a different prompt.

Report Generator files must now be saved prior to previewing, printing, or queuing a report. This means that once the report is created, it must be saved to the system before you can preview, print, or queue the report. This enhancement will provide a new level of auditing control over your dealership’s important data in addition to the existing functionality that allows you to see who created or modified reports. By having access to previously-run reports, you will be able to easily see who is accessing which reports and what the report set-ups were for each saved report in your system. Plus, you can be assured that reports are not being run without having them saved for future reference.

The Report Generator tool is a powerful way to maintain control over your dealership data as you manage your daily operations. We continually look for ways to improve the functionality of Report Generator to improve your ability to monitor and track report activity in your ERA system.

If you have any questions regarding Report Generator or these newly-released enhancements, please contact the Reynolds Technical Assistance Center.

Why not just go direct to the IBM Database UniVerse on each ERA box? 6910 is a waste of time. There are many username/password combo's that will drop you in to a VT220 style terminal and from there you can drop into the database command line with something like the command "uvsh"

Iceman, you're not the only one seeing this problem. I noticed a problem with my vendors starting on Monday and we have been on the phone a lot this week just trying to get a hold of someone that could actually explain how we can get this resolved.

Several Reynolds employees tried to tell me that our dealership was the only one effected......which was quite humorous because I had already spoken with a few of my vendors that verified that all of their dealers with Reynolds DMS systems were also unable to get updated feeds.

After numerous calls we have still yet to receive a call back from a Reynolds representative to explain the reasoning in this security change. The simple reason is what wweidendorf mentioned earlier, the last few rounds of "security enhancements" were not intended to increase the security of one of the world's most basic and poorly designed programs, but a reason to force dealerships and vendors to adapt or pay up.

Just about every major vendor was able to circumvent the first round at the beginning of this year when Reynolds turned off the modem access to the servers. Then Reynolds added the questions you had to respond to when you generated reports, now this.......

Honestly, if I had the time and a team of programmers it would be easy to create a new DMS system that was easier to use and more secure then anything that Reynolds can come up with on their 1970's software platform. BTW, it would not be that difficult for an unauthorized user to access a Reynolds DMS that is connected to the internet.....AND if you were smart enough to do so you wouldn't go generating reports to get the information either.

Just in case anyone at Reynolds has a problem with this post, feel free to contact me . I didn't spend a ton of money going to school to just get a pretty piece of paper.

The most recent "security" update has affected nearly every provider that I know personally -around 10.

The fact that it's pretty much all of them that I know, tells me that it will probably affect all providers which are not "certified" OR in other words those which are not paying Reynolds for the privilege to do business with those dealers that use the Reynolds systems.

The Reynolds website clearly states where they are going with this. Anyone, including the support reps that can't tell you right away that this is the result of an intentional Reynolds business directive that affects every ERA user should read the Reynolds website.

Some providers are finding it easier to simply drop support for these systems until the issue gets resolved between the dealers and Reynolds.

What's the likelihood of that? :banghead:

AutoArchitech,

The list of defectors is growing pretty fast. Unfortunately, without this vendor, the industry seems to have the capacity to install around 700 complete systems each year and that's when the economy is doing well. Who knows what the other providers can do now.

Lengthy contracts in place today may help distribute the defection workload to the other providers for now -but at some point over the next few years, it may be difficult to get a new system installed on a reasonable schedule as the providers may be spread too thin. If I were thinking of switching to/from any system, I would get it done by the end of this year.

Good luck to those dealer groups.