• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

REYREY DMS is a money pit!!!

Aug 25, 2010
First Name
Chuck
I found this on a blog and it seems like dealers will get squeezed indirectly by reynolds for not using there applications. Also interesting is that they can pull the plug on any reynolds rci vendor within 30 days. What i want to know is why did'nt reyrey give me the dealer an option of buying my own rci and hand out info as i see fit.. They keep saying the data belongs to the customer not me and that they are the keepers? Sounds like it's time to get rid of reyrey.. It also seems like all the security enchancements was nothing more than a ploy to get my vendors to go to RCI. I wonder if they did any checks on these vendors to make sure they are handling my data in a secure fashion once they have given it to them. The writing is on the wall the more dealers they lose the more they will squeeze those who are left. This Admin has had enough!!!!!

"So it looks like telnet gets a couple more days!!! Since the eraccess code wasn't tested correctly and was missing functionality. So now vendors are racing to RCI which will cost them four times as much money and will give a fraction of the data they are getting. Which of course they will pass the expense to the dealer. Oh yeah they can't disclose the amount that reynolds is charging them. Also interesting is any product that bobo has will cost less than any of these vendors..How convenient...So basically if you refuse to buy a bobo product and go for a competitor bobo still gets a considerable share."

It's almost criminal! well not really criminal, but I am PISSED so its criminal to me >:-/

The lack of uproar from the dealership body only gives Reynolds more balls to exploit our industry. The bullshit we're dealing with now will only get worse; all of this began with the "merger" (read: buyout). The bald-faced lies that we hear from Reynolds about how these changes are good for "security" are regarded as such by those with IT knowledge, but such people are not common at the executive management level of auto dealerships.

The only language that Reynolds (or any large corporation) will understand is money. Unless a significant number of their customers decline to renew their contracts they will continue to act with their own short-sighted interests in mind and with little regard to how it impacts operations in the dealership.

The worst part is we (dealerships) are the ones who will lose the most in the struggle between Reynolds and the other vendors we want to work with. We are the ones who must bear the inconvenience of broken integrations and inaccessible data, and if we fail to influence Reynolds to change their ways we will have to bear the additional cost of RCI due to vendors passing it right along.

The rumor on the street is their owner is looking to get out and there just may be a competitor with a not so hot product looking to buy... Regardless the ERA system is on a one way track to looserville. And that is sad, because the product does work.

Sweet. Maybe someone will develop a service for retail auto that is a modern management system, cause as of this moment you can not find a DMS vendor that is using modern technology.

And now the discussion starts, what is modern technology? Well, to start an API would be nice, and oh yeah, we (the dealers) should not have to pay for it, build it in to your product. And since not all dealerships operate the same, lets open up the user interface to the dealer for customization, what is important to them. Then lets add collaboration to the DMS, in every instance. Oh wait, what about moving away from the server client paradigm and joining the rest of humanity with operating system agnostic user interfaces, I.E. Adobe Air or HTML+Javascript, with HTML5 we are moving toward a more capable UI in the browser.

I feel the big difference will happen when someone (not Microsoft, they don't get it) can take the retail automotive vertical to the "Cloud" and staff with support staff and trainers that understand retail automotive.

Stop re-inventing the wheel, use a proven infrastructure, success by database design, not UI controls.

Any VC Angels out there reading this? Lets go...

Folks there is clearly a black hole when it comes to DMS technology - in Australia too. Here in the good land of Oz we're not lacking in heart or courage or brains even (arguable at times!); rather just as yourselves we're stuck with Pentana Solutions "Driving Success Through Innovation" and their ERA product. I don't know the history or reason behind why Rey-Rey Australia went through a name change to Pentana Solutions however we also have to put up with the distinct lack of interest to innovate or even provide a working product - LEGACY as it is... Seems though that most dealers are not prepared to consider alternatives hence the strangle hold that exists. We pay a regular mainentance fee of some $3000 per month for the pleasure.

We've taken a stand here and decided to pay only the princely sum of $0 for ERAnet Vehicle Advisor until they have it working as promised in the pre-sales meetings between us and them.

Last edited: