1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

See You Later Autotrader!

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by jon.berna, Feb 21, 2012.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. yagoparamo

yagoparamo
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Yago
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerEProcess
    Twitter Handle:
    yagoparamo
    Great info Rick,

For those of you that want to further check ATC value and don't want to use their code, you can also set up your funnels in your Google analitycs account and get a deeper understanding on the value of its traffic beyond direct referrals.

It is not complicated to set up but perhaps hard to understand the data if you are not well versed on SEO. Most dealers should be able to reach out to your regular SEM/Re-targeting company and work with them on both (set up and check).

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 1
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    Thanks Yago. I really wanted to visit your booth this past weekend at NADA but I didn't get a chance to. I was actually walking in that direction and I got side tracked by Social Dealer and then Richard Petty showed up at the booth behind us and I had to get a pic with him.

4. ddavis

ddavis
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Doug
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Retired
    Rick, this is really good information and some impressive statistics.

This whole thread offers some good insights into third party display advertising, if people will take the time to read it in it's entirety.

Visit AutoTrader. Look at the number of vehicles where the vehicle has a VIN explosion instead of a good description. Many have poor pictures, no pictures or stock photos. These dealers are running a high days to market. Some of them will be $2000 above market for the first 45 days until panic mode sets in. Their main competitors are in the premium section and they are 4 pages back. Any dealer that I am describing is wasting their money and should cancel. This is about half of what you'll see and they contribute to those statistics. Take the dealers that do things well, and imagine their statistics. I've been told that AutoTrader isn't effective in some markets, but that hasn't been my experience.

I have found that AutoTrader reps are among the elite vendors. They have a lot of knowledge, are extremely helpful, and can give you a lot of insight in what is going on in your market. I remember my rep, in Dallas, sitting down and helping me finish all of my specials. She was there several hours working with me.

5. StrongLLC

StrongLLC
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    John Paul
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Strong Automotive Merchandising
    This is knocking on the door of the real conversation. Advertising and visibility create traffic for Autotrader and Cars.com. Consumers do not shop at either of these sites because they are incredible at targeting down-stream "buyers" or creating a relationship. I was recently in a meeting with a Rep from one of the two previously mentioned companies and their pitch is turning much more towards the benefits of branding for the dealership rather than leads. The guy kept talking about the "grey area" of a shoppers journey. "Today some one is shopping on our site and maybe five months from now they could remember seeing your vehicle on our site end up at your dealership ready to buy..." They know their effectiveness is limited and they are trying to sell something other than leads because at the end of the day dealers and their partners are getting better at developing sources of traffic and leads while lowering the CPA. Aggregation is never going to be the answer to effective internet business. It's lowest common denominator. SO...How do we target the bottom-funnel shoppers more effectively? Moreover, how do we get them to convert? :D

6. StrongLLC

StrongLLC
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    John Paul
    Dealer or Company Name:
    You absolutely can get lost in analytics, but smart research and testing is the only way to improvement. Defensive spending or throwing money at the "opportunity of traffic" will only get you where you were yesterday. The guy who walks into the ring scared rarely walks out with his arms raised...

7. yagoparamo

yagoparamo
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Yago
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerEProcess
    Twitter Handle:
    yagoparamo
    Photo with Richard = A few friends amused

Photo with Yago = Women and riches for life!

I'll be in Seattle for the Digital Dealer seminar in March 20th, then Detroit in April for Internet Battle Plan just in case you were thinking to go.

8. ddavis

ddavis
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Doug
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Retired
    If I was told by a AutoTrader rep that I need to spend that much for branding, I would throw them out, as soon as I stopped laughing. Unlike conventional media, we are restrained by that ROI report.

I touched a high percentage of our sold customers and I can't tell you how many of those were sourced to our website when interviewed came from AT or Cars. Jerry Thibeau, of Phone Ninja fame, shares this opinion after all the data he gets from monitoring the calls. Big Data and companies like Dataium are going to take much of the mystery out this. Considering conversion, here is an article that you might like that was sponsored by Cars.

• Like Like x 2
  9. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    IMO, scoring Internet marketing or platforms by lead counts is so last century...

HIPPOs want to count leads, while shoppers avoid forms. Who do you want to optimize for?

Think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StrongLLC

StrongLLC
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    John Paul
    Dealer or Company Name:

Joe, If you aren't going to score your interactive marketing efforts on Conversions (calls, chats, emails, foot traffic...leads) then what do you propose success metrics should be? So far I haven't been able to make impressions, time on site, and bounce rate pay the power company. Not that those aren't important metrics...they can be a precursor to leads. For companies like autotrader.com however, their function is lead generation and anything else they provide is gravy...I guess I'm just wondering if they are trying to sell the gravy as the meal, is that a realization that they are not good lead providers and now want to be something else?

Hey if shoppers are avoiding forms why are there so many forms on dealer.com sites? (Sorry, I couldn't resist...that was meant in fun.) I think shoppers "avoid" forms because we either distract them much or don't give them enough clarity or reason to act now.

11. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    Hi Gayle,

Oops, I mis-spoke, I should have said:

"IMO, scoring Internet marketing or platforms EXCLUSIVELY by lead counts is so last century"

If you can't pay the rent by optimizing the Bounce rate, VDP impressions, T.O.S., Repeat visits, etc... I appreciate your P.O.V. but I can. In the end, we're both selling cars, it's simply my belief that I can sell more cars if I optimize content to please the silent majority. The funny part of this as I please the silent shopper more, they convert at a higher rate.

• Like Like x 1