• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Seeking Wisdom on how to setup internet department pay wise

tbullard

Tie Cut
Oct 15, 2011
First Name
Ty
I am in the process of hiring either an experienced internet sales manager (supposedly) or one that has a lot of experience selling but know car selling experience. I am torn on which we to go long term. I fully understand putting the experienced one in now will bring me quicker results but looking long term I am not sure is the best fit. Here are my questions i need some guidance on. We are a dealer group with 2 campuses that are less than a high a mile apart. One is a standalone Cadillac store and the other is a Acura, Infiniti, Jag / Rover stores. We currently have one internet sales manager and 2 appt. setters. The problem is they are all housed out of our Infiniti store a high mile away and I have no presence on my campus. So I have decided i want to hire my own manager / appt. setter whatever so that I can have total control over the department and this person would have one boss instead of two. We currently have one used car inventory feed to the 3rd parties so i know it will cost me there to do this. Hopefully that will help with customers maybe being confused on where the car is and giving up. Not sure on that yet. So do you think this focus is worth the extra cost and how do I go about as quickly and efficiently as possible, if i decide to hire the non-experienced, getting them trained? Basically we are going from one internet manager and two appt setters that each campus splits the cost of, to 2 internet managers that are responsible for there own campus and how big there department is based on performance. Any help is much appreciated. We are currently selling a total of 165 cars a month between both and my campus averages 65-75 and the other is around 100. We usually state we sell 30 or so out of internet total.

Interesting. What, beyond "control," do you hope to accomplish by eradicating the appointment-setter model and going to in-house "managers?"

IMHO, a quick answer to "So do you think this focus is worth the extra cost..." is "No." Your set-up sounds absolutely ideal for a consolidated Appointment Setter/BDC model. Without really having anything other to go on, I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the details within your current process and architecture that need tweaking; you don't need to build a new house.

For example -- you mentioned confusion over where cars are located. That's an internal thing, all the way. Your appointment setters should be able to handle that one with ease. If not, you have a broken cog in your internal gears.

A couple of people setting appointments for Sales Managers, who do the TO to "Our Best Salesperson." Music to my ears.

If I may make a suggestion? Hit Jerry Tibeau (Phone Up Ninjas) up for a quickie assessment of the phone process -- let him make a mystery shop to your store. You may be surprised by what he has to report. And you may not be as far away from better results as you think. Good luck!!