• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Show me yours and I will show you mine...

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin
Have you installed a Google +1 button on your dealership website? Where did you decide to put it? We have added it to our social buttons in the footer, but I felt it was important enough to add to our header as we work aggressively to embrace Google's recent changes. Where will you be placing yours? Share your site in reply to this post and I will "+1" your site in exchange for your a "+1" for ours... (just go to wyler.com and click on the +1 button). If you still need a Google Plus invite, let me know and I will send you one (I will need your gmail address)...
Google +1 Wyler Button.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Looks good Kevin. I've had the code to get on my site for a few weeks now but have yet to get it up in a spot that makes sense. Thanks for bringing this back to my attention.

I too would love to see where others are placing their social media share buttons.

We've had Facebook "Like" buttons on your inventory that works really well when posting to facebook. Love to have some analytics behind it though.

2011-07-25_0925.jpg

I'm going with Joe here... I'm about Socialed Out. Seems like an awful lot to try and keep up with for only the feel-good mamby-pamby crap. I feel no pressure whatsoever to be a 1st-adopter here. Of course, I have that luxury in this market, as dial-up is still the rage, Pac Man is still at the Mall, and everyone playing is wearing jorts -- the EPITOME of style. Good 'ol NEPA!

Reactions: 2 people
Great comment Kevin. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and wait to see what the others are going to do or you can jump in and play the game. And heck, while you're playing the game you might learn something else. You might find that sweet spot that gives you the advantage while the others are playing catch up.

Can you imagine having to start fresh with dealer reviews today? How dealers would you be behind? Not saying it's too late to step up to the plate with reviews but many dealer have been swinging for a few years now.

With all that being said, many of us only have so much time, so much resources. As for Google+, Google has failed so many times in social, I can understand why many are looking to respond rather react this time around.

With all that being said, many of us only have so much time, so much resources. As for Google+, Google has failed so many times in social, I can understand why many are looking to respond rather react this time around.
That being said, getting the +1 does appear to have a noticeable effect on search results for people logged into their Google accounts (see also: everyone on GMail and then some). I haven't noticed any effect on my personal Google Account from anyone else's +1s (in spite of adding a lot of folks on G+), but that first effect alone is enough for us to make the (fairly small) effort to add it to our dealership's site and see where it goes.

For those that know me (and/or attended my session at DD10), they know I take a much different approach than most towards social media. The majority of our shoppers that are looking to buy a car go to Google first - and if I can do anything to ensure that I will not only be found when they are searching, and that I am not only found but also appear in the best light, then I am one step ahead of my competition. You are fooling yourself if you think that +1 will not have any effect on SERPs. The simplest analogy that I can share is that if you are looking for a great Italian restaurant in your area, and you search, Google can always provide indexed results, but wouldn't you prefer a list of the Italian restaurants that your friends suggest? Now take that to a much, much higher level with millions of people, and wouldn't Google like to present the most relevant results that take into account personal endorsements of sites? Hint - have you ever heard of back-linking? Like everything else, Google is always looking for ways to improve their algorithms, and this is the type of answer they have been looking for in a long time (except it took Facebook to show them how to do it...). Do I know if it will be successful? Not sure - but can I afford not to participate fully in the market where the significant majority of my shoppers start their search for sales or service?...

Great seeing my fellow SEO friend Billfred here!

Reactions: 1 person
Can you imagine having to start fresh with dealer reviews today? How dealers would you be behind? Not saying it's too late to step up to the plate with reviews but many dealer have been swinging for a few years now.

But we are starting fresh with reviews right now. Not saying that DealerRater was a waste, but let's face it, Google just said "I'm taking my ball and I'm going home!" So we are all basically in the same Google Boat -- starting over.