• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Showroom Background Music

I was more thinking Barry White...

But, in all seriousness...Check out these stats

Or, these.

I think the general idea is this:

Slow relaxing music equals relaxed customers and fast music equals hurried customers.

Also, I can't help but ask - @Chip Dorman aren't your salespeople (and dealership, in general) responsible for creating a comfortable experience for the customers and not the music? The music isn't going to make them buy more or leave. The salespeople will.

Reactions: usedcarricky
I think that background music is good. Just something middle of the road.

No local radio stations because I don't want customers to hear a competitor's advertisement when they are in my store.

On a similar note, no local newspapers sitting around for the same reason.

Interesting question when you really think about it.

Way to throw in some supportive links @JessicaRuth

I wonder if it could be generationally influenced? I love me some electronic 80's. The local vineyard gets at least another bottle out of me when I'm sitting out on their deck and they have alternative and electronic 80's piping through the speakers.
:drunk:

Reactions: JessicaRuth
About 3 years ago I went to a site visit for our Dealer 20 Group in Southern Florida. A really big Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram store. They were playing rap on the showroom speakers. Not too loud but not too soft either! I was enjoying it but I thought it was a little odd!

I'm curious, does anybody have any strong feelings or experience about background music and its effects on sales at your dealership? If so, do you have any academic studies to backup your feelings or experience?
I have a story that I think is interesting and may be relevant. A couple years ago I was doing some consulting/training at a large Toyota store with a brand new facility. My work was primarily in the conference room above the showroom and the background music was very loud electronic dance music. It was distracting and frankly disturbing. Later in the day I was meeting with the Dealer Principal and he told me that the music was meant to create excitement and motivate the guests. I mentioned to him that I would find it hard to work there because of the background music. About an hour later I noticed that I felt better, calmer, more relaxed and it was then that I realized that they were playing softer rock type music at a lower volume. I couldn't help but think that if it affected me so positively it likely had the same effect on the guests in the showroom.

Too all this......it's all subjective! @Jeff Kershner is right - if the ambiance suits you and you're feeling it you're going to spend more money. No question.

So, back to my point - I don't care about the music. If the salesperson is doing their job is the music really that big of a deal?

@Jeff Kershner did the music sell the wine or did the person telling you about the wine sell it?

Reactions: usedcarricky
I love me some electronic 80's. The local vineyard gets at least another bottle out of me when I'm sitting out on their deck and they have alternative and electronic 80's piping through the speakers.
:drunk:

K43BUIi.jpg