• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Smartphone Marketing

I understand both points regarding needing an app that provides more than just new/used car purchase information, not only is that useful to infrequently it provides no reward to the consumer. However, if there was a tool that could keep them engaged at all times such as rewarding them for visitin service in between car puchases, do you think the average consumer would download a free app? Do you see marketing potential knowing that they have the app on their phone because it rewards them at all times in that situation?

I understand both points regarding needing an app that provides more than just new/used car purchase information, not only is that useful to infrequently it provides no reward to the consumer. However, if there was a tool that could keep them engaged at all times such as rewarding them for visitin service in between car puchases, do you think the average consumer would download a free app? Do you see marketing potential knowing that they have the app on their phone because it rewards them at all times in that situation?

Maybe if it pulled in local deals--but there's enough sites and apps that do that, and that's not a standalone added value that a dealership could offer. Not that I'm a automotive expert, but service reminders would even be redundant to a lot of tools that dealers already have in place.

I've worked in dealerships were there were reward/retention programs, and customers like them. I think you would do better to build a product around them, and in turn market the whole package to the dealer. If I bought a car, got a rewards card that I used for servicing that car at the dealership, and was told that I needed to download an app that I could use to track my rewards points and redeem purchases, I would be interested. The dealer would now have this app installed on every customers phone and would be able to send push messages regarding specials and sales and what have you, inevitably bringing the customer back when it's time to buy a new car. That seems to be the only way I, as a consumer, would ever consider putting a dealer app on my phone and keeping it there.

Reactions: 1 person