• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sorry if I am posting in a wrong section but just thought I'd be able to get some insights here.

Mar 26, 2017
First Name
Patrick
HI,

I found this forum on google, after searching a bit about the job. I have been offered few interviews and some are very eager to hire me. I am pretty sure it's because they fire a lot of people and need to fill the showroom with more salesmen to sell for them but got me thinking a bit.

I do have a job right now, a part time (should I say full time?) job that pays me near minimum wage. I maintain to take home about 2600 a month right now and that's after working 50 hours a week without a miss every week.

I have a bachelor's degree with en route of pursuing master's but recently, decided to take a break from school and get some sort of career going. Coming from finance background, I turned to financial institution but found out that it's all sales after all even working at a bank. I honestly have not much sales experience besides working at a bank for 10 months and working in a store trying to sell certain merchandise for a year.

What really scares me is that what if I can't maintain what I make right now. I can somewhat be comfortable making 2500-2600 a month along with my wife making somewhat similar a month, but would like to make more so my wife can quit working and finish her education, too.

I am based in Seattle metro area and it seems like selling a car can't be TOO hard for a big city like this (I am not saying in any shape or form to assume everyone's car sales job is easy!). I am looking at Honda, Toyota and Chevrolet, something more mainstream, thinking it'd be more probable to make a sale based on their popularity, please do correct me if I am wrong, I am only here to learn.

I am honestly not a native here and do not have a lot of connections yet. Also, I wanted to be a car salesman because I am really passionate about cars, genuinely interested in cars and wanted to wipe off some stereotypes against the car salesmen. I am not saying everyone is, certainly not, but I wanted to make someone happy when they walk out the door with their new car knowing that they didn't overpay, but at the same time, I made money too. Hopefully, they will refer me to their relatives and friends and I can serve other people who come to me with same respect. I know it's tacky to say that but I am more interested in helping people getting in their dream cars just like how I felt when I bought my first car. As long as I make a bit more than what I make right now, I am happy, but doesn't mean that my ambition is too little I will settle for less. I just would like to reach my goal without deceiving so many people.

I know there are a lot of car salesmen who would laugh at my input and honestly think that I wouldn't succeed. But I would like to listen to some of current salesmen's opinions if I should pursue with the career. If it helps in any way, I am bilingual (fluent English and Korean). I know Spanish is a big plus but unfortunately I can't speak one.

Any opinions, welcome, whether it be criticism, ego boost or just plain right down reality check, I will take each one of them with respect.

Thank you!

Hey brother, coming from a former car salesman in a similar situation, I have a few pieces of input for you. First, the car business is not for everyone. If you want to be successful, it can be a grind especially when it's a lot of retail hours and Saturdays. The second thing I would say is that if you are halfway decent at talking to people, you can instantly double your current income. Most places will give you a draw against your commission which should be close to your current salary or a little less while you are training etc.

Second, there is nothing wrong with your passion to help others and be fair in the meantime. You can do both and make a ton of money. It's funny the customers who pay the most are typically the happiest. I think you should go for it. It's a great gig while you look for what you really want to do and who knows, you may fall in love with it. Good luck!