• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Terms/Phrases in Car Sales or Sales in General You Find Offensive

ewalraven

Boss
Mar 23, 2010
First Name
Delete
I was thinking of this today and how much it disturbed me when I first heard these working in a dealership. Not sure if it was just the particular dealership/region/people, but they were used from the sales guys on up to management. Going for a couple things here:

1. Term think these are offensive
  2. Meaning of it (for those of us young bucks who may not know)
  3. One you hear or heard of or hear of to this day
In the box - Used to describe when a the customer is back in finance
Second Chance or Finance Customer - Pretty self explanatory, but stating that only certain banks will deal with the customer based on credit history
Maggot - Typically an internet customer that'll suck the life out of you by calling/e-mailing you to get the car cheaper for a couple bucks less than the next guy.

Maybe it's just because I have a tech background, but I always thought these were offense and annoying to hear. Should be treating somebody a little better that is going to drop 50k on a new Avalanche, ya know?

Hoping most people agree with me hear and some other ones that people heard and think should be banned!

Lexus .. I wish. No it was just an 'ol Chevy dealershap down yonder.

Examples of what you heard?

I was studding computer science right when I came from Spain and sold cars over the week ends, so I would bring four squares to my manager and he will let the people go. Then I would go ask: "what happened?" and he will say: "dirtbags".

I didn't understand the meaning back then as to me it had only the literal meaning "a bag full of dirt".

Automotive sales jargon eh? I've always liked the term "wale" when referencing a potential client with "deep pockets". I also had a charismatic Jewish boss that would on occasion reference clientele that upset him as a "schmuck" (stupid,obnoxious). Always behind close doors of course.........,

We have more slang than most industries and much of it is well earned. One of my favorites is "mooch". These are people that no matter what you do will never be satisfied. Your first impression is to blow them out. It is crunch time, the last week of the month and you need the unit. Against your better judgement, you sell them a car ...you wish you hadn't. They kill you on CSI and are a plague to the service department and post negative reviews.

I avoid calling people bogues, bandits, roaches and some of the others for bad credit customers.

Allow me to fill in some blanks. ;)

A "stick" - $1,000
A "dime" - $100
A "nickel" - $500

"Stiff" - credit challenged
"Starchy" - credit challenged
"Stroker" - customer who has no intention of buying anything... ever.

A "rat" - trade-in in poor condition or of no value
A "four pounder" - a four thousand dollar profit

"Blow them out" - ask your customer nicely to leave the dealership immediately
"Skate" or "Skater" - the act of stealing a customer or sale credit from another employee

"Bell to bell" - A day where you work from open to close

...and many more. I tried to think of some positive ones, but unfortunately I couldn't come up with any. :)

Reactions: 1 person
It's income tax time and the "eagle is flying". Dealerships will start seeing "cocky bogues", people with beacon scores lower than my blood pressure saying "if I'm gonna spend my money, I'm gonna get what I wan't". Armed with their $2500 IRS refund, they want to know where you have the BMWs.

Tire Kickers, lookie lous, Lot lizzards. Seeing tail lights, over the curb, curbing used cars, Dip or dip house, hock your sticks, skip the trade, shirt sleeve the paperwork, five finger close, tissue, net net, mop and slop, flipped, out of round, sled, hoopty, spot, pipe smoking slide rulers ....

Last edited: