• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TEST: Shoppers Don't Know Cars... do you?

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Link to the test

There are 10 questions.
I'll show you pics of 2 SUVs stripped of badges (like below),
upload_2016-7-23_18-14-20.png
you get 60 seconds to guess the make and model.​

Score
1 point p/Answer & bonus if you get both
  • +1 Correct Make
  • +1 Correct Model
  • +1 Both Make and Model Correct.
  • Max score = 3 per car.

Winner gets some sort of lame prize and lots of admiration from the DR posse'

Good Luck,
-Uncle Joe

Link to the test

p.s. Max total score = 30, I didn't make it to 20!!

Last edited:
This test can be an eye opener. It'll show you how critical photos are to shoppers.

Plus, from my seat, it helps explain why our industry has no shopping carts. You mutter "howinthehell does that make any sense?"

Some high-level observations about Internet car shoppers:
#1: Shoppers don't know cars
#2: Shoppers scan, they don't read
#3: Shoppers use photos to speed information consumption
#4: Car shopping is a loooong journey that is NOT linear nor logical

From these observations, here's what I've believe to be true:
  • Old school: Shoppers use the Internet to decide which car to buy
  • New school: Shoppers use the Internet to setup a productive dealership visit.
If my 'new school' conclusion is correct, then car dealer websites need to deeply integrate the dealers' why-buy message deeply into the their site(s)*.

Be brave, take the test, you'll learn that you have a trained eye that becomes tired... "Shopper's don't know cars, do you?"

HTH
-Uncle Joe

*I've been preaching this on DR's forums for years.

p.s. The test asks for thoughts and comments. There are some that are brutally honest and made me LOL. When you take this test, leave your thoughts, I'll share them later (without your name attached ;-).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralph Ebersole
I started getting glassy-eyed after looking at all these white, SUV, side profiles, and at about 7 or 8 I just wanted it to end. haha

Great observation!! What can we learn from this?? ck this out...

It took you 10 minutes to take the test. Imagine how shoppers feel when they're 3 weeks in and have seen >20 different car websites!

Shopper Fatigue is real!

How can we profit from shopper fatigue?
  • Create CTAs that help a shopper to visualize a quick and happy ending!!

More thoughts on 'shopper fatigue' http://www.dealerrefresh.com/the-internet-shopper-experience-chart/

Joe, I just took the test. Not EASY. And I'm in the business. I do believe I scored at least an 80%.

My conclusion - most Domestic and Asian Imports look the same from the side unless it's a really unique style like the Ford Flex. I knew most of the German imports (and of course the Benz) but again, maybe that's because I'm in the business and I'm around and have owned mostly German imports.

Now watch me only have gotten few right....

Reactions: joe.pistell