• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Marketing - anyone using this?

Text is valuable if you can communicate back via web based text. If someone responds to a Keyword / Short Code ad then they are only expecting Text communications. Also, the use of text communications in Service is proving very valuable in getting around phone tag when an issue with a vehicle comes up. Text is valuable from a marketing standpoint but only if coupled with web based text communications.

While we are on the subject of texting...

What about texting a personal message to the customer that provides a cell phone number on a 3rd party lead or a lead from your website...would you find it OK at that time for the sales person to text you?

Would this be viewed as an annoyance OR professionalism - showing an urgency to serve the customer?

As a consumer a text to me would be fine but I have unlimited texting. I could see where others might have an issue. If you had a box on your website that asked if text is a good way to communicate, I would check yes.

The main issue I see is, If they don't get it, you have no way of knowing

@Jeff we've seen a huge response to that. If they respond back it kills. It's similar to an email though and needs to be closed on an actual call.

The majority seems to be, no surprise, similar to most car shoppers who are at work and text back and forth but don't want to risk being on a call and have the boss rip their face off. Generally, after a few texts they get too excited and call anyways. It's tons of fun.

I have a few sales people using text. It receives mixed reviews but mostly positive. They use their personal phone for texting BUT I would always recommend getting a Google Voice number. With Google voice you can use the app on your phone OR I believe you can text from the online admin.

This is a screenshot of an email log in our system. I had to photoshop the top and the bottom because the entire thing didn't fit.

The log is for 90 days and it has 359 leads. There are 2 type of leads: the ones that say "Craigslist" come from a CL form in our templates, the at the top part if the inage you will see a lot of leads named "Autobase SMS".

What we did is adding a simple way (I think Dealer Specialties can do this too) for each car's unique identifier in the system--we call it barcode--to return a mobile page of that car if it is texted to our system.

With that simple change we added it to some Craigslist templates that say something like this: "text me this number and I will send you all the photos and info about this car" and we also added a tool to the system so the dealers can send that list of numbers for the inventory to the auto magazines (if they still axist in your market!).

The result is that out of those 359 leads 172 of them are text messages and the dealer got the customer's cell phone.

I don't know how effective closing these yet, but I also think that some changes need to happen on the way dealers responde to them. Some dealers called the second the got these leads and the customers didn't react well so we suggested them to start texting bacl (duh?!).

pgitext.jpg