• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Texting for After Hours

MidwestFord

Full Sticker + Prep
Feb 24, 2012
First Name
Brian
Has anyone had any luck placing a number to text after hours for vehicle information? We looked at a couple of vendors which offer some great services like sending the customer to a mobile details page, but we are a small dealer and trying to save some money.

We thought about printing one of the salesmen's number on a window sticker and letting them communicate by text.

This is a great way to reach customers - and market fixed ops.

There are a few ways to do this, Text for Info (mobile enabling your inventory) and Text campaigns (opting in). You're right that it's not the cheapest option out there, but the leads from it should help pay for it.

Check out Pinger - it's free. It's not going to be the all-in-one, but it's fffffrrrreeeeeee!

I can't imagine putting a text too number would be a BAD thing. More ways for the customer to contact you the better! If you want to go the cheap route. Then just put it on the details page of each vehicle or the description. Obviously in a perfect world you would like some sort of CRM integration, but hey, splittin' hairs there ...

Example:
Call - (555) 555-5555
Text - (555) 555-4444

I think it might gain some traction, though I haven't tried it. My only concern would be, if a customer texts you, are they expecting a response faster than if they email in their information. If they text at 10 p.m., is the dealership properly set up to respond to it?

I think it might gain some traction, though I haven't tried it. My only concern would be, if a customer texts you, are they expecting a response faster than if they email in their information. If they text at 10 p.m., is the dealership properly set up to respond to it?

Good point, last thing I would want from a customer standpoint is an auto-response.

Rather than texting after hours, which it seems to have some operational problems (you got to have a life, you know) why don't you use a chat program that offers a mobile version too.

One other option is to use SMS text short codes. They can be used for your on lot merchandise, advertisements, in-store promotions - anything. Gives customers quick access to vehicle detail pages - during and even after store hours. Some inventory management providers even allow for custom landing pages and more.

One other option is to use SMS text short codes. They can be used for your on lot merchandise, advertisements, in-store promotions - anything. Gives customers quick access to vehicle detail pages - during and even after store hours. Some inventory management providers even allow for custom landing pages and more.

Jl,

That allows customers to gather info, the SMS and chat that we are talking about here is to induce interaction which in turn means we got the customer's contact info.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I chose to go Google.com/voice. It is a free tool, you can get any area code you want and you can even have it text to a team of people. This way it isn't in one salesperson's control. AND you can login and respond/review any texts from a computer.

This was a way for me to see if this was something to invest in. I always found going FREE until you can prove it worked for any of the owners I've worked for.

Good Luck!