• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Internet Director's Role - What should it really be at a dealership?

isales

Rust & Dust
Mar 23, 2013
First Name
Chris
Hello Friends,

First I want to give you a little background so maybe you can better understand why I'm asking this, and I trully need the best advice and opinons I can get. Sorry for such a long post. Oh and excuse any typos if you will. The spell check wouldn't work for some reason ;)

I have been in the auto business for seven years now. I started by pownding the pavement like everyone else, and made more money than I ever made in my life. I was hungry and it showed through my persistance. Previously, when I was in school, I studied computer software and Internet marketing for a short period of time. So one day I decided to implement my skills with the Internet into my newly found career. The dealer I was working for, which was a GM dealer pushing 120 -150 new and used a month, was receiveing leads but nothing was being done with them. So I started to do some research and teach myself how to properly handle Internet leads. To make a long story short. I succeded. I built an Internet Department at the dealership I was working for and it was very successful. When I left there were four Internet Salespeople and then myself, the Internet Manager. However, I still sold cars as well. Plus I did all the other work, working with vendors, keeping up with the newest software to implement, website maintenance, etc. Eventually I realized that my position should be dedicated to the "other work" I was doing. I saw the potential impact a true Internet Director could have on a dealership as a whole....not just sales, rather sales, body shop, parts, and so on. Now let me backtrack just a little. I made a lot of money selling cars. So this position I was proposing needed to make me as much money if not more. The GM didn't see the value in it even though he knew how successful the department I built had become. I figured he didn't want me to stop selling.

Anyways, that dealership was the first I ever worked for and after six years I left and went to another dealer 30 miles away that I had been in talks with. This dealer I currently work for and does about the same in volume and is also a GM dealer. They wanted to start and Internet department, and they were very behind schedule. So I took the job and things have been going good. Slowly but surely the department is once again beginning to grow. I am doing the same thing as I was at the other dealership, but eventually I want to have three Internet Salespople and myself the Internet Director that oversees the department. There are so many benefits to a structre like this and someone like myself that understand this online market can bring in a nice ROI for the dealership, and not by physically selling cars. Rather, implementing and maintaining the right process for my internet salespeople, doing manager follow ups on unsold leads. Implementing key stratigies throught the year to produce more sales. Coming up with a good marketing plan for our service department and parts department. I've heard that today's successful dealers have this type of "Internet Director" and he is payed like every other manager in the store. My pay plan is based off of how many "Internet Sales' we have in the month which I get a bonus for each different level, and the cars I sell I'm payed the regular salesman pay plan. I just think it's to much work to sell cars and do all the "other stuff" required for this position and if anything I'm hurting my pay, and the dealer is not going to get the best ROI he can. Before I ask my questions let me say this: When I was hired I received full backing from my GM and GSM which I know is very important. This month is my 90 day mark and we have went from 5 or 6 Internet lead sales to 15 to 20. They want 30 to 60 which I was at 35 to 45 at my old dealership so I know it can be done. So my questions are:

Am I right about this position?
Should a true Internet Director be payed just like any other manager?
What type of pay plan is resonable?
What other job duties could an Internet Director take on?

Thanks for taking time to post on DR. This forum is a great place to learn more about all things Internet, the car biz and get helpful advice.

To start the ball rolling...

What are your current responsibilities other than selling cars?

What have you done to organize these new Internet Departments (ie process, staffing, advertising, etc)?

What does your new dealership think of your plans?

I currently am the main contact for any third party vendor that offers anything to do with online marketing, advertising, lead generation, etc. I meat with them, sign contracts with them, and so on. My new dealer is confident in my plans and has given me a budget to work with on a monthly basis. So far I have used this budget to sign up multiple lead generators, a new ILM tool, a digital ad package, and some online marketing / branding ( display ads, retargeting, etc.)

When I first started they were only getting 50 to 60 leads a month. So that was the first thing was to acquire more leads and while that was being done I was training two people to properly handle the incoming leads. They had a basic ILM but now that the lead count is up that tool is no good and i just signed with another ILM last week. I've done many changes to the website including adding live chat, landing pages that are tied to specific ads, and an overall better layout design to get more coneversions from the site. I put together a follow up process and implemented the process into the current ILM tool so that the daily task are always in front of the salespeople. My next steps are to set up the new ILM which will allow me to be much more efficent with email marketing and following up with leads. I've also implemented a call tracking system so that I know the phone calls are being made according to the follow up process. I've also designed the templates to be used with the new ILM.

Once the new ILM is setup this will allow me to turn my focus back to our website and online marketing strategy. I will be using our local advertising agency to do some search engine intuitive marketing for our pre-owned cars, and I will be using our website provider to run an ad campaign with google adwords to help brand our dealership. Which by the way I'm working on what I want that branding message to be lol. Oh, I've also implemented walkaround videos for all of our inventory with totals 280 new and used, and I will be making personalized vidoes for my Internet salespeople to be sent with the initial response template. I've been pondering the idea of personalized salesperson landing pages that can be sent in all emails. Mabye create a hyperlink near the picture of the salesperson that says "My bio" or whatever wording I choose.

This dealer has three seperate smaller pre-owned lots and one of those lots had a carsforsale.com website that they were paying 99 a month for but nobody was doing anything with it at all. My Gm wanted to trash it but I told him to let me play with it first and I'm glad I did. The inventory had not been updated for over a year and there was only 8 of 130 used cars on there. I took the page and renamed it, setup the inventory feed to include all our inventory new and used, and what do you know. Leads have been coming in like crazy from carsforsale.com.

My biggest dilema is I love doing this stuff. I love it more than actually selling cars lol. For example, I'm at work now researching new ideas and so forth, but I'm technically taking money away from me because at the moment I'm not selling cars. However, I'm in it for the long run and I know it will all pay off but the way my pay plan is setup now it doesn't help with next months paycheck.

On the flip side, I'm pretty sure my GM is willing to work with me. He has seen the increase in productivity from the department, and the other managers are all in as well. So it seems anyways. I sit in the weekly managers meetings and everyone says that we should be putting our money in the Internet. Which is great for me! At this time I just have to make a decision on wether to purpose taking another salesman and fitting him into the internet department and take myself out the lead rotation and just strictly oversee the department, or keep it the same way it is now but maybe with a differnet pay structure. Either way I feel the pay plan will have to change. And don't get me wrong. They have been paying me a fair amount now but in a way it's capped because the department doesn't have enough leads, or the right tools in place at the moment. I know I can ramble on and on. You must see my passion regarding this business. Trust me, when I say oversee the dept. I don't mean just kickback and boss people around. I would still be actively engaging potential prospects but in a different way. As in, a follow up email from the manager, "hello we haven't heard from you in a while. I am the Internet Manager and wanted to make sure our Internet Department has fullfilled your needs" .... you get where I'm going with this I'm sure. I would do follow up calls to appointments that didn't show, unsold leads, etc. All while maintaining our online presence and doing the research necessary to keep ahead of the game.

I am glad that you took the time to outline what you do day to day. In reading this I cracked a smile. You are not alone in your transition from sales to management. I am in the same battle you are and know what you are going through. 34 hours a day with no sleep would be required to get everything done. I get it!

Here is what I did and take it for what it's worth. Build a business plan. Outline how you can bring more income and control expenses for the dealership by consolidating services in house. Show them the savings and results of your projects.

Talking your GM, or any HIPPO, into paying you for not directly producing sales is tough. Paint the big picture. Dream big and have a path. Prepare yourself for setbacks and failure. Become the go to guy for something at the store to justify your place in management hierarchy. Read the recent blog about personal branding.

If all else fails make an agreement (like I did) to give it a go for a set period of time. Be honest and ask for the money you want to make. What's the worst that can happen...if you get a no... Update your resume and find a new home.

Sounds to me like you would prefer to be a marketing manager rather than an Internet Director.

In a small store it is very difficult to justify paying someone what you're used to making just as a marketing manager.

A multi franchise group would likely be a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 person
Isales,

I would describe my situation in a similar fashion to the way which you described yours. I too, started with a raw, borderline non-existent internet department. I started with very little knowledge regarding internet sales in the Automotive Industry as well. I slowly cultivated an internet department while teaching myself the best practices while slowly developing my own ideas as well.

The majority of your story sounds similar to mine. That being said, I slowly built my value and more importantly, discreetly made my overhead aware of said value. I've slowly been able to increase my pay and perks.

I think the important thing is distinguishing yourself which it sounds like you have. You aren't just a "CRM watcher" as ddavis said. You are a creative asset, a forward thinker, and a difficult employee to replace. Our General Sales Manager has worked at my dealership for 20 years and worked his way up from sales. The Sales Manager has worked here for 14 years and also worked up from sales. I put that in perspective and I'm reasonable about my requests as a result. I think the key for you is just going to be assessing your own value vs. your perceived value within the dealership. If they line up it should be pretty clear what you are entitled to.

You aren't just a "CRM watcher" as ddavis said.
Just a statement of fact. Most dealerships take this view of the position and most do a marginal job with their internet departments.

I was in a store, yesterday, where the new GM thinks he is an internet guru. His staff thinks he is, too. You have to wonder why every Honda store, in this market, is kicking his ass.