• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tim Martell SLAMS Industry SEO Vendors

I Agree with Him.

Automotive SEO is a joke, same as Local SEO "Experts/Businesses" they are also a Joke. It's amazing to see how many dealerships have no idea what real SEO even is, yet they buy it. I've talked with quite a few vendors about SEO, they all fail in my book, to this date there is not one SEO vendor in the auto industry I would hire.

Kcar, You might want to cut back on the caffeine. The guy that you agree with is both a car guy and a SEO vendor.

Kcar, You might want to cut back on the caffeine. The guy that you agree with is both a car guy and a SEO vendor.

Still sticking with my thoughts: Every SEO Vendor in the automotive industry sucks. There is not one SEO vendor in the industry that is qualified for real SEO and can produce real results. They all do the same garbage SEO or they do things so basic they offer zero value. I took a look at that guy's "blog", it's all about social media? Where is he offering SEO, please share so I can take a look as Social is not SEO.

"Send me your report and I'll tell you what I find. Or I'll tell you exactly what I'll do. I'll just take their report and import it in to our reporting tool and compile a list of all the keywords you're being ranked for and turn it around with search volume attached.

If you want to talk about hiring us after, great. Hey I'm here to make money too."

Were you up late last night watching the speeches? I know of several people that I can trust to do a good job with SEO. I can think of a couple that are considered experts in and out of the car business.

I Agree with Him.

Automotive SEO is a joke, same as Local SEO "Experts/Businesses" they are also a Joke. It's amazing to see how many dealerships have no idea what real SEO even is, yet they buy it. I've talked with quite a few vendors about SEO, they all fail in my book, to this date there is not one SEO vendor in the auto industry I would hire.

SEO works wonders when you have a person who really knows their stuff, but the problem is these dealers keep buying into garbage SEO from vendors.

This thread just got K-Car'd....HARD!!! Was waiting for you to jump in the ring kid.

"in a world of universal deceit , telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

You have found your home here at dealer refresh Tim, it's the other forums loss.

Blake, I don't think that his posting here, is a departure from ADM and elsewhere. I had seen it on ADM but I don't think it said anything about the awards.

Most GMs really don't "get it" when it comes to the internet much less something as complex as SEM. Look at the bill of goods that dealers are being sold on social media. It seemed, about a year and a half ago, every kid with a facebook page was a social media consultant.

It is a remarkable business. Have you ever noticed some of the vendors, that bounce in on you (or the Used Car Manager), look like they used to dance around a pole?

This thread just got K-Car'd....HARD!!! Was waiting for you to jump in the ring kid.

I couldn't resist! I hate when dealers get taken advantaged of.

Dealers! Please call you current or future SEO vendor and ask them explain and perform the following: "A Private blog network over various IPs plus a Web 2.0 network that's interconnected, in addition to Tier 1, 2, 3 and 4 backlinks built on a diverse platform but not limited by wikis, blog comments and forum profiles with bookmarking." - ps. That's just covering basics right there, there's so much more too it.

I can 100% for sure say, 100% of these automotive "SEO" companies will have no idea what any of that means, or will stumble out words to try to explain it. These companies offer no value, you're paying for "maintenance" you don't need, and you're paying for "keywords" that get traffic with such low volumes there's no point in even ranking for them. Not to mention ranking 500 keywords is easy when there's no competition for them since they get zero traffic; who wants to rank for something that brings no traffic to their site?

I've spent 8 years working with SEO. Unlike car dealers, I operate other sites that I have to perform SEO myself.. Out of my own pocket. I know what works and what doesn't, and for what price point. I've spent 30% of my time everyday reading and practicing SEO, building sites, etc for over 8 years now. I'd love to see any vendor's team rank a keyword for 105,000 monthly searches with hard competition, on a $1,000 budget. They'd spend $100,000 and still have no idea what their doing nor would they even rank in the top 10. Any vendor who wants to debate with me on this will not win..

I even talked to one of the larger automotive "SEO" vendors last night.. They turned me down because my site ran on Wordpress. Seriously? Do you have any idea how SEO works? SEO is not just on-page/content-writing, it's off-page link building. Dealers sites today have the content, most even have blogs, they don't need a bunch of on-page SEO, heck even that was "supposed to be included" when they push "optimized websites for SEO" in your face upon sign up. So what is left to change on-page? Your meta/title tags? Big deal, you claim they are optimized to dealers when they sign up..

Anyways, I'm just tired of dealers getting ripped off here. SEO is something a lot of vendors are doing just to make money off dealers, but they aren't doing it correctly.. Sometimes I even question what are they even doing, and are they doing anything at all? I considered providing dealers SEO with a start-up but I don't consider it to be ethical.. Imagine how your fellow dealership will feel when all of the sudden your main site and mini site are ranking for every spot in the 10 top and you competitor goes out of business and loses all of their online traffic. (Minus direct brand name searches of course).

So dealers, I'll be honest with you here.. If you are thinking about buying SEO "services" from ANY automotive vendor, take my advice and run away, do not hire them.

Adding as well: If you are thinking about buying SEO from a 3rd party outside of the auto industry vendors, you need to be extremely careful, most don't know what their doing, most are smoke and mirrors, they will get your site a penalty from Google quicker than you can imagine. Your long term online goals from that point will stop, and you'll have to start your site over. You do not want this.

Last edited:
@ Ddavis..

So this guy writes this big article to what promote his company Wikimotive?
Let's stop of a second and look at this guy's "SEO".

Online Marketing Company | Digital Marketing Company | Wikimotive

Wikimotive Pricing (Yeah great idea, because you should really have outbound links in your navigation, NOT). Also LOVE how you optimized the on-page title tags for that page! NOT.

2,000 +1's for $399! Yeah sure I'd love 2,000 fake and un-natural +1's on my website from Google's own platform. Not like they can track anything like that right?! Not like every single case study out there has shown that +1's have no effect right now and that using fake ones will actually damage your site in the SERPS..

Oh you're going to sell me a bunch of Fake Twitter and Facebook Fans? That will for sure get me ranked for keywords! NOT. Social has not effect in the SERPS, PERIOD. It's only a diversity factor that helps out authority sites and indicates trust, it does not magically rank you higher in the SERPs.

Love the # in your link: Wikimotive Pricing Who does that? That's horrible for SEO, stop it.

Automotive SEO | Facebook Marketing | Social Media Marketing | Reputation Management | Wikimotive ? Nice blog that's not even connected to your money site, so what point does that even serve? You are getting ZERO SEO value from it. I'm willing to bet both sites are hosted on the same HOST/IP, so you get ZERO link juice from interlinking.

Online Marketing Company | Digital Marketing Company | Wikimotive Love how your site has ZERO content, it's just a bunch of price tables. Yeah that's really going to help you rank for SEO. Not to mention the site looks like it was designed by a 10 year old. How are you going to SELL dealers on Design services, when you clearly have no idea how to design a website. As well good job not even using any of your targeted keywords anywhere on your homepage, except as outbound links, lol seriously? Who does that..

I could go on but I won't.
So what am I getting at here.

Don't bash another SEO provider/vendor unless you can back it up. Using it as an excuse to try and market yourself to dealers and get them to buy stuff from you is bad taste.

Not to mention! You sold many dealers Facebook accounts with 50K-100,000 likes, your entire business is unethical.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
There needs to be more of this. This has got to be the only market that I've seen people tout "Video SEO". What is that?! I worked for a vendor that use to market some of their features as Web 3.0....:rofl:. Or "21 ways to get a lead" on a vehicle details page. It reminded me of that 6 minute abs vs. 7 minute abs scene from Something About Mary. What's worse, is some of the stuff they say, "No cookie cutter sites" are actually some of the most cookie cutter sites I've seen. From the search page, to the details page, to the rest of the inner pages -- identical. If the prices keep falling, then I get that, but just don't say they aren't cookie cutter if they really are. The same goes with the SEO "formulas". Decide what's part of the service and what's part of the product!!!

Great post Chris! Had to comment I liked it so much.

Also while I may not be a fan of Tim's business. I do have some respect for him going after these vendors.. I feel like these things get swept under the rug and with all the awards and dealer "testimonials", I can see why dealers aren't seeing the full picture here... As well, I was debating removing my post above about me attacking Tim's services, but if you're going to call out vendors, I'm going to call out you and make it equal.. I apologize for the negative remarks, but I don't know you, I have no business with you, and I'm going to tell dealers what's real and what isn't.