• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

To fence the lot or not to fence the lot. That is the question.

Mid-Grade Ford

3rd Base Coach
Oct 20, 2015
Awards
First Name
Abe
Hey, what are your guys thoughts on fencing the lot? We are one of the few dealerships in our area that is still fenced. I'm wondering if any one has de-fenced recently? Did your insurance cost go up? Did you do other stuff to protect the lot?

Or for those who still have fences, what kind of fence do you have? We currently have this old mangled old fence with rusty barbed wire at the top. If we can't get rid of the fence altogether, I'd like to find a different type of fence that protects the vehicles but doesn't give vibes like the scary fence from Sandlot.

Build a wall!

I'm thinking it may be tied to an insurance policy, depending on where your dealer lot is located.

Replace that barby with blades! ...and throw 180 volts into the mix :rofl:

View attachment 5363

Yah! I was thinking if we can't lose the fence, maybe we could replace the barbed wire with electrification. Cooler and more visually appealing!

You guys seen this company Anduril that's making autonomous drones (potentially to patrol the Southern border)? Hopefully in the future we can use them to patrol our lot at night.

• :light:
Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I bet their drones are almost as much as the fence. They are badass though.

business_ghost4_studio_01.jpg

Reactions: Mid-Grade Ford
Hey, what are your guys thoughts on fencing the lot? We are one of the few dealerships in our area that is still fenced. I'm wondering if any one has de-fenced recently? Did your insurance cost go up? Did you do other stuff to protect the lot?

Or for those who still have fences, what kind of fence do you have? We currently have this old mangled old fence with rusty barbed wire at the top. If we can't get rid of the fence altogether, I'd like to find a different type of fence that protects the vehicles but doesn't give vibes like the scary fence from Sandlot.
If it's good enough for The capital Building, it's good enough for us.

Seriously though, I've heard too many stories about missing catalytic converters, vehicles up on blocks, and other similar issues, to recommend leaving your inventory wide open to the world.

Just had the annual meeting with our business insurance guy. I asked if removing the fences would affect our rates and he got kind of weird and gave a non-answer. Eventually he said he would get back to me (he didn't). Also, when he showed how our claims stats compared to other dealerships, we had wayyy less claims for lot damage than average. Now I'm wondering if losing the fence is like something that we could totally do and then we would just have to start making more insurance claims.

• :light:
Reactions: Jeff Kershner