• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tracking Down My Dad's Classic He Sold

AlexCaradonna

Lot Lizard
Oct 30, 2023
Awards
First Name
Alex
Hey Gang - Long shot here but I am trying to track down the 1962 Mercedes Benz 190sl my dad had when I was a kid. He got rid of it when I was young to make room for hockey gear in the garage, pay for our schooling, etc. He turns 60 this year so I was trying to track down the vehicle in an attempt to buy it back for him.

Any suggestions as how I can go about finding the vehicle? I was trying the DMV records but haven't had much luck. I don't have the VIN on hand and didn't want to ask him because I don't want to get his hopes up. Last I heard he had sold it to someone in Long Island, NY.

That car is going to stick out like a sore thumb in some ways.

I have been on Pelican Parts in a long long time but they used to have a lot of old souls who would notice 190SL.

I would start tracking down cars and coffee groups on the island. Then work my way out in 100 mile radius patterns.

I wonder if there is a vinwiki for these?

To get the vin couldn't you use the plates that used to be on the car? I just don't know enough about this to know if that would work or not.

Worst case ... I'd be looking for one to buy just in case. It's not the same but you buying it for him would be the world to him.

Reactions: AlexCaradonna
That car is going to stick out like a sore thumb in some ways.

I have been on Pelican Parts in a long long time but they used to have a lot of old souls who would notice 190SL.

I would start tracking down cars and coffee groups on the island. Then work my way out in 100 mile radius patterns.

I wonder if there is a vinwiki for these?

To get the vin couldn't you use the plates that used to be on the car? I just don't know enough about this to know if that would work or not.

Worst case ... I'd be looking for one to buy just in case. It's not the same but you buying it for him would be the world to him.
Great call on the cars and coffee groups..appreciate the ideas!

That is an awesome gesture. I hope that you are able to find it.

Just a thought, but if it takes longer than you expect you might present him with this to let him know that you have been looking. It is a little tangible evidence to reinforce that "it is the thought that counts."

View attachment 8923

View: https://www.amazon.com/Maisto-Mercedes-Benz-190SL-Diecast-Vehicle/dp/B0007ZGAHA/ref=asc_df_B0007ZGAHA/

Went down the BaT rabbit hole thanks to @Ryan Everson ...If I can't find it over the next year or so I might have to settle for a 190SL peddle car instead haha