• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tracking on-site VDP's and SRP's with Google analytics

SlickRick

Full Sticker
Mar 11, 2010
First Name
Rick
Hey guys,

Since I have my made my own content management system for my site. It is working really great, I am able to track traffic but the only things missing are the inventory statistics.

I want to be able to track VDP's and SRP's of my inventory through Google analytics.

I do not want to make my own back-end tool to make this because I believe Google Analytics is very flexible and more cost effective.

Would anyone be able to validate if this is possible ?

I have done some research but haven't found much.

- Rick

ahhh... look at your URL string in your inventory and find a common marker in your URL that pertains to inventory.

In GA, under content >> Site Content >> Pages:, search for that "common Inventory URL marker"... done.

If that works and you'd like it saved for easy reference, go to:

Standard reporting >> Advanced segments >> Custom Segments >> Create New Custom Segment

viola!

@Joe, The advanced Segments will allow you to filter standard reporting to view the metrics for all the individual pages, etc, but is there a way to coalesce the data as an overall site-performance metric for VDP, or SRP, etc?

For example, with Dealer.com sites you'd have Search Results Page (SRP) URLs typically like this:
Code:
http://www.mossbrosautogroup.com/new-inventory/index.htm?listingConfigId=auto-new&year=2013&make=&model=&trim=&internetPrice=&bodyStyle=&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true

with a regular expression pattern (regex) for Google Analytics of:
Code:
/((new)|(used)|(certified)|(all))-inventory/index\.htm

and a Vehicle Detail Page (VDP) url like this:
Code:
http://www.mossbrosautogroup.com/new/Buick/2013-Buick-Enclave-0bbcce000a0a0064007359f71e3cf306.htm

with a regex of:
Code:
/(new)|(used)|(certified)/[^/]+/.+\.htm

Is there a way to determine the percent of traffic that visit to each of these two types of pages (srp and vdp), and also the percentage of those that go from SRPs to VDPs?

Thanks...

Jonathan

SlickRick,

What you're looking for is called "Event Tracking" in Google Analytics. Event Tracking will allow you to categorize events and actions, and also allow you to create "fallout" reports or lead funnels. Here's some more information at the link below:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/eventTrackerGuide

If you already have Google Analytics embedded on the site, all you have to do is paste in javascript like this:

<script type="text/javascript">

_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Inventory', 'Vehicle Details', 'Year Make Model Trim Stock goes here.']);</script>

There's a lot of different things you could do, and I think it's well worth tagging the site correctly with event tracking to use that data in other reports. Hope that helps!

Is there anyway to set up to receive the SRP/VDP reporting from Autotrader and Cars.com search data?

Yes, there is actually. They both have a dealer portal or back-end tool that gives you your SRP/VDP data. Your AutoTrader rep can can also provide you with your monthly scorecard report that provides the information, as well as a snapshot of your aging, inventory demand index etc.