• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

UI and UX - dealer sites 2.0

A customers feedback on crappy dealer websites should not be something dealerships/ website providers turn their nose to. Sadly, this is the case.

The online shopper experience should be at the forefront of any digital conversation. Websites are not only NOT tailored to a positive customer experience, but it's almost like they ignore every complaint ever made by the mass majority of online shoppers and keep driving their plan straight into no mans land.
I posted several questions on my Facebook page when going through some changes with photos and with our new website. I got lots of great feedback and made some changes based on it. For instance, it was unanimous that people wanted to see the seats immediately after the exterior pictures. We had them at the end prior. I just didn't think people would care that much about seat pictures. Boy was I wrong.

That sort of makes sense, Seats tend to give you and idea of what kind of wear and tear to expect on the vehicle.
gosh ... why didn't I think of this ... I should know since I looked back when for Grand Cherokee and was told to pay attention to the seats.

@BillKVMotorCo do you mind if we use your website (kirksvillemotorcompany.com) as critique material for what I'm trying to explain in this thread?

Screen Shot 2024-04-03 at 23.59.47.png

I picked this up because of the YT show I watched a few weeks back.
I don't remember if they said Koons or this one is blazing fast ... maybe I got the wrong site.

This is beautiful! I feel like I'm at bass pro shop.
Problem is that most 20-30 year olds can't afford these.
I'm not 20 so it took me 2+ minutes to figure out how the compare and like work.
I watched the video so I know these guys are late 30's. I would have guessed that just by what they didn't think of here.

Lead gen is more important than showing the camper.

lol, I thought the photos word meant to click on the photo.

This dealer must do a ton of clearance sales!

So for NLP:
visually - I totally get the go camping look and feel but this is geared for the younger kids ... not me.

"I'm interested" -- these folks are kynetically motivated. Touchy feely, totally kick back and take your leisurely time folks!
"view details" -- this extra word "details" confirms the kynetic approach to this.
"share" search -- more of that campy, get to know nature approach.

The only thing on their site that motivates me into action is the banner ad that I didn't screen shot. It matches the design aesthetic but not the phrasing.

This all adds up to this:
This site is targeting: silicon valley techy young folks

Attachments

• 1712206793616.png
    1712206793616.png
    705 KB · Views: 2
That sort of makes sense, Seats tend to give you and idea of what kind of wear and tear to expect on the vehicle.
gosh ... why didn't I think of this ... I should know since I looked back when for Grand Cherokee and was told to pay attention to the seats.

@BillKVMotorCo do you mind if we use your website (kirksvillemotorcompany.com) as critique material for what I'm trying to explain in this thread?

Don't mind at all.

Reactions: Carsten
The smell of certain donuts trigger memories
Carsten, I dont understand this: "Find out their primary sense that they use and appeal to that"
How do I or anyone else turn thata into action into something tangible? I believe NLP concept fails for web design, but I LOVE to be wrong (it opens new doors). I am 1000% ready to see an example, a mock, something tangible.
I can't believe it's 2024 and we still don't have scratch n' sniff websites

:egads: Dude, you gotta get into a store, and watch the 'dance' of commerce happen before your eyes.

The phones ring, the reps scurry, the customers wander, the F&I desk is busy and has a cue, the receptionist kindly gives an impatient visitor a smile and a cup of joe, the back office fat fingers data in the 1990's era DMS, the UCM has 3 auctions streaming and screams at his monitor, the lot worker is helping a sales rep to find the keys, the BDC has no appointments today and the boss knows it.

--The dealer's site feeds this beautiful beehive of activity--

@Carsten, EVERYONE drives. In this beehive, the spectrum of personas & demographics will shift subtly between franchised brand and geo, but, every buyer in the store has a job to do and every employee in the store has a job to do.

After a few months, you will find that car shoppers bring into the dealership (or BDC) the questions the internet can't answer. The dealer's website highest mission is to help the car shopper visualize that this dealer will help them finalize the search and complete their mission.

Should you immerse yourself inside a store, and you launch your best ideas, if your ideas do not assist the shopper AND the store in 'task completion', your ideas will struggle to move metal.

I love your energy, find a store near you and volunteer or consult. Listen to the 100's of phone calls. Read the 100's of chats and emails. Sit with the receptionist. Shadow sales reps. Sit in sales meetings. Help the lot worker record and upload cars.

These are franchise operators, daily operations are the same all across the US... every store, a beautiful beehive of very focused activity.

Last edited:
@joe.pistell

I'm not down playing any aspect of a dealership especially the large OEM ones. There's tons going on and each department has a job to do.

I do make fun of the dealers who brag about their $50 million dollar new service and repair center and then say they can't throw in some floor mats to seal the deal.

My previous job, my department had 60 developers (20 mobile, 40 web) and this doesn't include the product owners, the product managers, the QA team and the rest of the 1000+ employees who every dealership (not bhph) and many more institutions depended on us.

It is different, but I get it.
I'm also not a noob to ecommerce. One sort of famous shopping cart's name is inspired by me. As you probably notice, I tend to stick out for a lot of reasons.

Dealer sites are still ecommerce just without shopping carts ... that's changing too. There's a lot more going on that I'm learning but the base application that the shopper sees is still a shopping catalog. Sears Roebucks and Montgomery Wards comes to mind. Sears Roebucks used to have shops that you could place your catalog order at and the counter person would try to help answer your questions.

I also believe that covid really changed the landscape. It forced people to go online. People learned how to "shop" from their phones. We even got used to QR code menus at restaurants. Industries changed at a speed I didn't expect.

Dealers took a huge hit too and had to learn to move from print to digital marketing and the early adopters depended on developers who like you have pointed out didn't have any floor experience. This is good and bad. But it's still ecommerce. Dropped carts are your leads who don't materialize.

I agree that the "website highest mission is to help the car shopper visualize that this dealer will help them finalize the search and complete their mission." I just see it more as that the buyer found a vehicle that caught their eye at the price point that they are looking for and is willing to deal with dealer to close the transaction.

I am wondering how much more can a website help "the store in 'task completion'" ? The site is the equivalent to the older Sears Roebucks catalogues. They got the lead to shop and visit to inspect the product. How much more can it do to close the deal?

"
"

I was hoping that would spark some debate as to why I think this.
That site is like I said is beautiful but the font is too small, the features are too hard to figure out if you are really savy on using ane commerce site that deviates away from the amazon model. I think it's older people who have disposable income and are looking to do something after retiring that are in the market for campers over your typical 30 year old. So, I was hard on the design and functionality. I catch younger developers doing this all the time becasue they are thinking what they like over what the end user likes.

I didn't even start looking at accessibility issues which is luckly that this industry hasn't been targeted by ambulance chansing lawyers. I warned my previous company about this when the new design was being setup. A year later, we got a letter from a lawyer looking to bank a few milliion dollars. How many dealer sites consider color blind people? How many worry about those images carosels not having the proper start stop buttons?

This car business is in my system so I'm here for the long haul. I'm banking on it too.
So, I obviously apprecitate all you veterans in this market becasue of all the expereince you have!
And no, I'm not trying to come in here and say you are all wrong. The furthest thing from it. I'm just trying to bring up points that maybe someone has over looked. Or maybe, rock the boat a little to help dealers to move on to 2.0.

I posted several questions on my Facebook page when going through some changes with photos and with our new website. I got lots of great feedback and made some changes based on it. For instance, it was unanimous that people wanted to see the seats immediately after the exterior pictures. We had them at the end prior. I just didn't think people would care that much about seat pictures. Boy was I wrong.
Brilliant man you are Bill! This is why I like you man haha.

From the great Steve Jobs.

"You've got to start with the customer experience and work backwards to the technology."