• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Used Car Info Storage

Mitch Gallant

Refresh Team
Apr 6, 2009
Awards
First Name
Mitch
I'm helping work out a solution for our used car manager and can't seem to think of anything off the top of my head.

Right now our used cars all have a file with the recon shop bills, out of province inspection (dont know if theres a similar out of state doc used), accident report, possibly a car fax report and other incidental docs that go along with that unit.

The desired end result is to digitize a copy of all theses docs and store them in an easy to access place. Aside from building out a custom solution, is there anything out there that sounds like it would work? A better process overall perhaps?

Thank you for helping me, I'm lost and don't want to be stuck building out a website for this!

Simple idea would be a shared/mapped network drive with a /usedcars dir - sub-dirs named by stock number.

Most of your "all in ones" will scan to a PDF on a network drive. Just move the doc over to the right dir once scanned.

If your network doesn't have any shared storage, I'd also recommend Dropbox. (Full disclosure: that's a referral link. Just hit dropbox.com if you're opposed.) We set up an account and put the software on all the computers in the showroom. I put in the files (CARFAX, GM Global Warranty Management printout, vehicle build, shop bills), they sync automatically out to all of the computers. There's some mild griping that Dropbox puts out an alert when new files are added, but they also say that's how they know I'm working. ;)

One thing to note is that I had to call our web filter company to get them to whitelist the site; your mileage may vary.