• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Used Car Optional Equipment

Here maybe this is easier to read than just a paragraph of options. Here are two AutoTrader.com 2011 Dodge Durango examples:

The other data collection company and how they decode and describe the options:
Cars for Sale: 2011 Dodge Durango AWD Crew in Cincinnati, OH 45251: Sport Utility Details - 318451774 - AutoTrader.com

HomeNet collected:
Cars for Sale: 2011 Dodge Durango 2WD Crew in Cincinnati, OH 45245: Sport Utility Details - 321829399 - AutoTrader.com

Did you notice the custom comments the dealer felt the need to add to the other company's listing? The Internet Manager added "3rd row seating, 6.5 touch screen and power liftgate" because the other company doesn't have information to describe those options or they completely missed them. My Chrome Data VIN decoder didn't miss those items. It builds value. Photos are great, Videos are Awesome, Enriched Options are becoming the difference between a basic listing and quality listing.

Not a good example there. The first listing does say 3rd row seat in the list, no need for the Dealer to add it (He added leather also, and from what I see the truck has cloth)

You dealer also added third row seat in the comments along with power sunroof, power windows and locks, etc. Did you miss those like you say the other guy did or ?

Both Dealers just added stuff that was already there.....

Not a good example there. The first listing does say 3rd row seat in the list, no need for the Dealer to add it (He added leather also, and from what I see the truck has cloth)

After another look, the other company did include the third row as an option. I saw the Leather in the comment, but that was the internet manager fault for adding it.

You dealer also added third row seat in the comments along with power sunroof, power windows and locks, etc. Did you miss those like you say the other guy did or ?

My dealer did add those comments, BUT I have those as options already and there's the difference. I collected those options because of Chrome Data's help.

Both Dealers just added stuff that was already there.....

Do you see in my listing the 6.5 inch touch screen option and it's not on the other guy's? So your wrong. Chrome Data is more complete in it's descriptions of the vehicles' options. It's like Night and Day. Chrome includes the 30GB hard drive, 506 watt amp for the stereo, Audio Jack inputs, and so on. And the other company uses basic descriptions of options; Chrome is more complete. Example of a Chrome Option: Media center 430 -inc: AM/FM stereo w/CD/DVD/MP3 player 30GB hard drive w/6700 song capacity 6.5" touch screen what does the other guy have? AM/FM Stereo with CD Player??

Cars have change over the last ten years and so does your descriptions of their options.

@ Mike (mcampo2501):

Yes, I've actually brought up your exact issue a couple times previously on these forums...here are those threads:

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f14/vin-explosion-frustration-oems-give-us-data-1053.html

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f14/vin-lookup-database-all-brands-1832.html

I even threw the idea out of having dealerships across the country of different brands create an exchange service where we all help each other out with exploding accurate optional equipment for used vehicles (since we have access to the OEM's system's to pull this data on the brands we carry, but none beyond that). Of course this would be a logistical nightmare and also likely subject to lawsuits from the OEM's, but besides that I thought it was a great idea! Ha. Of course, some would disagree and feel that the current setup is actually a benefit to us....Uncle Joe as you'll see in these threads outlined some very persuasive thoughts on why we are should be happy to leave well enough alone. But yes, for online marketing purposes I wholeheartedly agree that it makes off-brand used car marketing very frustrating (not to mention trying to accurately appraise a trade-in when you can't figure out exactly what options/packages the vehicle has...and sometimes even what trim level the vehicle is!).

Bryan

An Uncle Joe Old School Warning to you all.

"Be Careful what you wish for."

I've been warning ya'll for years, The internet has completely crushed industries, ask yourself how has the used car biz avoided this?

#1). There is no industry standard to report used vehicle condition
#2). Vehicle Trim, Package and Installed Options gathered in the field are far from uniform.

If you automate problem #2 -and- if some industry player creates a "used vehicle condition" protocol*, then kiss EVERYTHING good bye.

FACT: The flatter and more transparent the product analysis becomes, the thinner the retailers margins will be.

If that line above doesn't ring a bell in your head, then your barking up the wrong tree.

*The biggest winner would be Cox Enterprises who owns KBB.com, Manheim, AutoTrader.com, vAuto. Standardized Used condition reports improves every single aspect of the Cox Empire.

WINNERS:
--Manheim Online Wholesale Platform gains authority
--KBB.com valuations become far more precise
--AutoTrader.com leverages the above, search becomes far more granular (i.e. 2010-12 Chevy Equinox, AWD, LT2 or LTZ, with Roof, Backup Camera, Nav, Leather optional, no color preference, miles under 36k, with a vehicle condition score of 8.5 or better)
--Vauto data becomes far more critical
--VinSol builds in sales assist tools to help the rep with difficult A/B product comparisons

LOOSER:
--Every Single Dealer (regardless of brand).

p.s. Remember, the internet BLOWS UP industries. Here's another body blow. Uniform and automated Used vehicle data creates a totally new shopper opportunity where the shopper can post their car to trade on a site where dealers can "bid on my trade".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
.......Uncle Joe as you'll see in these threads outlined some very persuasive thoughts on why we are should be happy to leave well enough alone. But yes, for online marketing purposes I wholeheartedly agree that it makes off-brand used car marketing very frustrating (not to mention trying to accurately appraise a trade-in when you can't figure out exactly what options/packages the vehicle has...and sometimes even what trim level the vehicle is!).

Bryan

Brother Bryan,

We all have no idea if a vehicle has a special package AND many times options are missed. In a perfect world, Homenet would have listened to my requests where if the VIN = xxx and if the vehicle has option #41 and # 22 and #16, then look for options #xx and #yyy and #zz.

Another Simple Logic Example, Package Finder:
VIN = xxx and if the vehicle has options #41, #22, #16, #xx, #yyy and #zz, then it has this is the Buick Premium Package*

*which includes the following options you missed: #44, #82, #121

Last edited:
... I have my dealers setup to use Chrome Data options, which is a custom feature that I requested of HomeNet support. If you don't request it, HomeNet will turn the Chrome Data options into generic options when it exports your inventory to AutoTrader.com and others..

John, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Chrome Data is standard with webiol. Anyone (reseller or not) exporting USE (Uncategorized Standard Options) without field gathered data (ala Chrome data) is simply not using the tool.

...FACT: The flatter and more transparent the product analysis becomes, the thinner the retailers margins will be.

If that line above doesn't ring a bell in your head, then your barking up the wrong tree.

The internet respects no business model. Beware the sirens song. Look who the internet picked as winners and loosers in the Airline biz

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/who-making-all-profits-1778.html#post14201

"...The Airline Biz, after the internet blew it up...

Delta + UAL & Contintental + Southwest Air =
$26 billion
PriceLine.com all by itself = $26 billion..."

Only 2 hurdles remain before the internet can launch a full out attack on our industry.

You have been warned.

Last edited:
The internet respects no business model. Beware the sirens song. Look who the internet picked as winners and loosers in the Airline biz

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/who-making-all-profits-1778.html#post14201

"...Airline Biz, post internet

Delta + UAL & Contintental + Southwest Air =
$26 billion
PriceLine.com all by itself = $26 billion..."

Only 2 hurdles remain before the internet can launch a full out attack on our industry.

You have been warned.

Four more years of Obama and that will be the least of your worries. You have been warned.