• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Value of Online Directories

Just an update on this: I went through and tried the SYNUP service, which charges $2.00 per listing to fix. They go through and register the actual accounts for you, and provide you with login details/proof. Your dealership will actually own the listings! They said it will take 3 weeks to complete. I ended up fixing 27 listings to start. I'll report back how this service works.

Seems like the better choice, instead of being locked into a $349 yearly fee... FOREVER...

Thanks for keeping us update Nick. Good stuff

@Alexander Lau - I believe you have some info to add to this thread...

So, the Synup service provided some mixed results --- they seem great for making new listings that were non-existent (thus, taking that work load off my back), but for listings that already existed (that are simply wrong or have incorrect info) they are VERY hit or miss. Several of the listings that I requested they fix, have not been. They provide their proof as saying "listing already present, business name is incorrect, edit request send through use mail support and waiting for approval." Was that worth my $2.00?

Of course, some of these "non-fixes" aren't Synup's fault --- Such as, Insider Pages (which is notoriously listing our dealership as "Schimmer Rental"). This is a YEXT site, so of course the only way to fix it is through Yext. And Yext has no reason to want to put correct information out there --- unless you pay for it. Of course, they will be happy to aggregate the incorrect info forever. Another Example is Judy's Book --- they want 19.99 to claim your listing. This is clearly internet strong arming just to get the correct information for your business online. While Judy's Book looks like just another peon small time directory that has no reason to exist, they somehow have credibility with results aggregation. F me.

Anyway, if anyone looks into Synup, use it only for creating new listings that don't exist. Otherwise, to fix listings, it just seems like a waste.

• Useful
Reactions: JessicaRuth
Per Jeff Kershner's request (I commented on LinkedIn and not here = curse of the dual platform content post). I have used Vendasta for this type of service and frankly it's extremely affordable and it kicks-ass!

https://www.vendasta.com/marketplace/presence-builder/business-listing-distribution

There are loads of services like this here as well: http://www.wlmarketing.com/local-business-listing-service.html and http://www.wlmarketing.com/directory-submission-service.html (doesn't look like much, but TRUST ME, they deliver and hard!)

n8z9JpB.jpg

So, the Synup service provided some mixed results --- they seem great for making new listings that were non-existent (thus, taking that work load off my back), but for listings that already existed (that are simply wrong or have incorrect info) they are VERY hit or miss. Several of the listings that I requested they fix, have not been. They provide their proof as saying "listing already present, business name is incorrect, edit request send through use mail support and waiting for approval." Was that worth my $2.00?

Of course, some of these "non-fixes" aren't Synup's fault --- Such as, Insider Pages (which is notoriously listing our dealership as "Schimmer Rental"). This is a YEXT site, so of course the only way to fix it is through Yext. And Yext has no reason to want to put correct information out there --- unless you pay for it. Of course, they will be happy to aggregate the incorrect info forever. Another Example is Judy's Book --- they want 19.99 to claim your listing. This is clearly internet strong arming just to get the correct information for your business online. While Judy's Book looks like just another peon small time directory that has no reason to exist, they somehow have credibility with results aggregation. F me.

Anyway, if anyone looks into Synup, use it only for creating new listings that don't exist. Otherwise, to fix listings, it just seems like a waste.

Remember, with YEXT you have to keep paying and paying and paying or their initial submission(s) will not be deemed as credible. There are submission tools like YEXT and then there are aggregates, like the ones I have mentioned below.

Well, looks like there are STILL no good options and these essentially worthless 2nd and 3rd tier listing directories are still strong-arming businesses into paying massive sums of money!

I've got about a handful of directories that have our old phone number on them and I just can't bring myself to spend $250/mo or even $40/mo to update the phone number...

I just checked Vendasta which is $250, Yext is ridiculous, Synup is $360 a year but the value is still debatable...

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Well, looks like there are STILL no good options and these essentially worthless 2nd and 3rd tier listing directories are still strong-arming businesses into paying massive sums of money!

I've got about a handful of directories that have our old phone number on them and I just can't bring myself to spend $250/mo or even $40/mo to update the phone number...

I just checked Vendasta which is $250, Yext is ridiculous, Synup is $360 a year but the value is still debatable...
Well, keep in mind there are aggregate (cheaper) and there are backroom deal groups (pay to play and if you quit you're data isn't being managed = Yext).

I still think Vendasta is the best of those, that has an automotive arm.

Well, keep in mind there are aggregate (cheaper) and there are backroom deal groups (pay to play and if you quit you're data isn't being managed = Yext).

I still think Vendasta is the best of those, that has an automotive arm.

Vendasta seems to be a better product, but still at $3000 a year for a dealership with 30 cars for sale?? That's a big chunk of money to manage the listing on avantar or fave.com and all the other sites that get a handful of views..

I'm testing out Synup, since the information does not get deleted when you cancel their service.