• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vendors & Sales Processes

This goes both ways, after working in car dealerships for a decade I now work for a vendor. This week I called 200 dealerships (most multiple times) to have an authorization of data form filled out (it would literally take 2 minutes, maybe 5 minutes if you didn't know your dealer # and had to look it up) so that a CRM could continue to communicate with a DMS. Starting July 1st, the 2 systems would no longer communicate unless this authorization form was filled out.

When I called each dealership, I identified myself as an employee of a software company they currently use, I needed to have a form filled out so that two of their system's could communicate, this is an urgent matter, and could I speak to a sales or finance manager so that this could quickly be resolved. Of the 200 dealerships I called, I was transferred to a voicemail 50% of the time and left a message, only 1 person called back from my VM and we had everything handled in a 2 minute phone call. The other 100 managers picked up my call, I explained the situation to them in under 60 seconds and asked for an email to send it over to them. Of those 100 managers, only 50 (50%) filled out the form and returned it to me.

Low and behold, yesterday I had 100+ calls and emails because deals were no longer pushing from the CRM to the DMS and why is this happening.

So even when a desk manager, new car manager, GSM or GM is told that the push to DMS function will be broken, 75% of the time there was zero action to resolve this before the issue came to a head.

• Hilarious
Reactions: Ebenn and Kyle Gage
Was a crazy end of month, glad for the discussion!

What's crazier, is this isn't exclusive to one vendor.

There was a marketing partner I nearly gave up on, as I submitted 6 inquiries, and left a number of voicemails. Never heard back. Gave up on them. One day, rep shows up out of the blue, I express my frustration, he never received them, admitted that their leads almost never get to sales reps at all.

This particular time, I *need* a key tracking system. The vendor that mentioned building a solution on here never came back, responded, updated his website, etc. Tried KeyTrak, that's what prompted this post, been days and days, not even an autoresponder to let me know they received my inquiry.

Maybe it's me? When I was shopping for my last couple homes, the realtors told me that they almost didn't respond, due to how much detail I put in the lead.

Do people just want generic inquiries to show they are real?

To your point, Alex, In the stores I have ran, or been a part of, if the missed lead percentage is > 0, there will be ramifications.

Was thinking, maybe KeyTrack was like CarGurus, and their people read this forum too, and I can stir the pot there with a DR post. :poke:

Reactions: AutoAlex
Was a crazy end of month, glad for the discussion!

What's crazier, is this isn't exclusive to one vendor.

There was a marketing partner I nearly gave up on, as I submitted 6 inquiries, and left a number of voicemails. Never heard back. Gave up on them. One day, rep shows up out of the blue, I express my frustration, he never received them, admitted that their leads almost never get to sales reps at all.

This particular time, I *need* a key tracking system. The vendor that mentioned building a solution on here never came back, responded, updated his website, etc. Tried KeyTrak, that's what prompted this post, been days and days, not even an autoresponder to let me know they received my inquiry.

Maybe it's me? When I was shopping for my last couple homes, the realtors told me that they almost didn't respond, due to how much detail I put in the lead.

Do people just want generic inquiries to show they are real?

To your point, Alex, In the stores I have ran, or been a part of, if the missed lead percentage is > 0, there will be ramifications.

Was thinking, maybe KeyTrack was like CarGurus, and their people read this forum too, and I can stir the pot there with a DR post. :poke:
If there is one thing I can say that is certainly true is now that I am on the corporate side of things and am now dealing with 100's of dealerships on a regular basis (versus just working at a single dealership and moving to another one), there is definitely a "labor shortage" in the sense of having people in positions that will actually put in effort & work. There is a lot of clock punching & mirror fogging happening on all sides of this, and many other industries.

There is an odd dichotomy that I see in automotive.

Guests submit inquiries, and expect/require immediate response. If we do not get back to them within moments of their submission, someone else will, and we lose the opportunity.

Vendors receive inquiries, and maybe they get back to you. Why is it so difficult to give people opportunities to take my money, sometimes?

Especially at end of month, if they're trying to make numbers, wouldn't they want to respond to someone?

Maybe it is because they know there are fewer options, and we are a captive audience? Maybe I should re-write the "Why it is time to stop ignoring vendors" post & email it to each of the vendors that I can't get a response from, just for laughs?
As a vendor all I can say is WOW! If someone actually calls me I have to take a deep breath and wait sixty seconds to call them back. Don't want to look anxious! :) The hardest part of our job is getting a "sit down" with you the dealers. If a dealer is actually requesting a meeting or just information, I clear the decks and get them what they need. And this goes for both prospects and current clients.

I think this group/people that participate in the forums is a little above the rest when is comes to customer service (and expectations)

I try, I REALLY try, to keep an open mind when a vender calls me. However, if you don't have your elevator pitch done and ready for me when I ask what you are trying to set-up a meeting for - you have lost me. I give you 30 secs to set-up yourself.

Part of the problem is also these BDC/Appointment type calls. "We would like to set-up a online meeting to go over......XXXXXX". Website, SEM, SEO -- whatever. But this person calling has no clue what is being sold, just an appointment maker.