• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Video Chat - Does it make really sense .. Yet?

Hi Jeff, Odd I never saw the message prior. I was busy video chatting . So is video selling cars? YES! But not how we imagined. I have dealers using Facebook Live and Periscope which is resulting in confirmed sales. Car shoppers are asking questions on the stream and dealers are engaging and ultimately earning the sale. Facebook Live has ability to (beta) place ads which seems promising. So video chat is working but its a one sided video that can be viewed again and again. User generated content is powerful and we are going through a major transition in how we market and what we think really is.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Periscope, Meerkat and Blab are all this year's version of the QR code - They require an app download and after a few unfulfilling experiences will go unused. Marketers really WANT this to work, but consumers don't care about it... My two cents
What a difference a year makes! Meerkat and Blab are dead -- Good riddance. Periscope is dying. No one wants to download an app just watch iffy content (well, not no one -- I still have all 3 apps on my phone. Even the dead ones). BUT, for the same reason I stated a year ago -- the need for dedicated apps -- there is a game changer. Everybody has Facebook (well not everybody, but ALMOST everybody) installed already. Live-streaming, or video chat is now poised to really become a widely accepted form of customer contact right up there with phones, emails, text, chat, etc.

Hi Jeff, Odd I never saw the message prior. I was busy video chatting . So is video selling cars? YES! But not how we imagined. I have dealers using Facebook Live and Periscope which is resulting in confirmed sales. Car shoppers are asking questions on the stream and dealers are engaging and ultimately earning the sale. Facebook Live has ability to (beta) place ads which seems promising. So video chat is working but its a one sided video that can be viewed again and again. User generated content is powerful and we are going through a major transition in how we market and what we think really is.

What a difference a year makes! Meerkat and Blab are dead -- Good riddance. Periscope is dying. No one wants to download an app just watch iffy content (well, not no one -- I still have all 3 apps on my phone. Even the dead ones). BUT, for the same reason I stated a year ago -- the need for dedicated apps -- there is a game changer. Everybody has Facebook (well not everybody, but ALMOST everybody) installed already. Live-streaming, or video chat is now poised to really become a widely accepted form of customer contact right up there with phones, emails, text, chat, etc.

@PaulPotratz thanks for chiming in this time around. I figured you were video chatting ;-)

@Ed Brooks Yes, good riddance to all 3. But then again I'm not one for utilizing live video. For whatever reason I still can't bring myself to a point where I feel uber comfortable on video. Of course nowadays you're considered a minority if you are not behind a video lens recording and sharing every move and every thought one has (while driving.)

Both Paul and Ed agree that Facebook is positioned to dominate the live video channel. Makes sense.