• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Video Spokesperson

gerry

Green Pea
Apr 18, 2009
First Name
Gerry
Our GM would like me to add a "video spokesperson" to our website. You know, the blonde in a business suit that comes out every time you click on a site and tells you about the business. I personally detest these things, but he feels they are really great. I have some other opinions but I really do not wish to skew this thread in any particular direction. Is anyone using them, if so why? If not, why not?
Thanks

Gerry, I have had these on dealer sites before and I can tell you they will increase bounce rate and are a horrible experience for the consumer. Do NOT allow this HIPPO to become reality.

I have seen a few of these virtual people help increase converion on other pages but even then you can build an opt-n video and achieve the same effect.

Don't do it my friend.

Remember most people are at work browsing your website.

Reactions: 1 person
Our website, Virginia Beach Car Dealers | Auto Dealers in Virginia Beach, Norfolk Virginia, features around 150 web videos, but one thing you'll notice is that we have a strict "no auto-play" policy. If a visitor wants to watch the video, they will click play. How obnoxious is it when you're bombarded by a loud video that you didn't expect to encounter, especially if you're in your office. Can we say, BUSTED?

Videos: YES Auto-play: NO

BTW- customized videos have a far greater impact than generic ones. My husband's company produces ours and offers inexpensive "Starter Packages" to get you rolling with Custom Web Video for your sites.
customizable WEB video Package

Reactions: 1 person
Gerry, tell your GM - he should be in the video! And have him walking out to greet each homepage viewer. See you wanna lead him down the path of no return. Get even more of his ego on the table...then once you have on all gungho for it, let him know that you still don't advise that he goes through with it.

He'll be so pumped and right then you bet him that the bounce rate increases over 10% on the hompage - reducing time on site (unless you have the lady on the Spanish side of the DealerCentic video), while watching leads decline. Bet him like $3,000 You're sure to win!!

The video spokesperson (and all autoplay videos) is a novelty that has jumped the shark a long time ago. I do like what your husband is doing, Christine; short videos that address topics that build value, and support local brand. And for someone who has been in the video production business, the price is more than reasonable.