• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Walk the Walk...Your First Up

Kelly Wilson

How can I help?
Oct 23, 2011
Awards
First Name
Kelly
I wanted to share a post my friend Micah did today from his blog. I think he makes a great point. I know there are "gurus" out there and I know there are also true professionals here that "get it." I would love to hear what you think. And to the true Experts, let's hear about that up. Do you talk the talk or have you really walked the walk? ...what was it like living from selling?

Reactions: 2 people
Kelly, I graduated from High School in 1967 and I got a job selling cars at Huffines Chevrolet in Commerce, Texas. Mr. Huffines allowed me to sell cars while I attended College across the street. Outside of the time that I was in the service (drafted just before my junior year but returned to graduate), I have been in the car business. Maybe, the true test is that you don't remember the first up, the first finance close or the first deal you desked.

Reactions: 2 people
I certainly remember my first up, which turned out to be my first sale. I've been in the business for 13 years. In 2000, two years after graduating high school, a friend invited me to help sell cars at their big "credit union sale." I was promised big bucks and currently working part time at a bicycle shop as I had since I was 15. All the regional dealers were there and for years it was a great event. I didn't know a thing about selling cars, but as a certified car nut, I knew cars. My first up was on a used dark blue camaro with a manual transmission. Not an exciting car to me, but sure was to my first up and I recognized it right away. It didn't take much to see is excitement and cash in on it. Okay, he was a "lay down" and made it easy for me to keep him engaged, but still... When it was all said and done it was about a five pounder and I was hooked on selling cars. There have been many days when I wish I never had that first up, but the business has proven to be a perfect fit for me. I've done very well for myself and I'm well respected by those that know me. I've only worked for two people in the last 13 years, but have been recruited by many. I've been fortunate enough to only work in my neighborhood which allows me to have somewhat of a life outside retail. This also helps me utilize my extensive customer base. What a great business! I can't imagine where I would be today without that first up.
Also, I remember my first deal in finance. Sold two products with a JM&A rep sitting in on the deal...boy was that uncomfortable, but helpful. I decided to memorize everything he asked me to just to keep him from sitting in on my deals ever again!

I remember one of my very early ups which turned into my first sale. I had started working at a Ford dealer back in the early 90's and to tell you how bad this place was I did the first 2 days of sitting in a room and watching VHS tapes then a day walking the lot till I learned where every car was. This was all very different to me as I grew up on a farm and had my grandfather not retired and sold out I still would have been. So my first day actually being told to go sell a nice couple had brought in their several year old Town Car in for service. They were sitting out side and I overheard the lady saying how much she liked the new body style of the town car, and that she was hungry. So I went and got the keys and pulled it up in front of them, told them I was headed to get some breakfast and I would love to have them join me, they agreed and we went to a fast food place that they picked and ate. I had the lady drive us back when we parked back at the dealership she turned to her husband and said I want it! Now keep in mind I was very new and had just taken a brand new town car off the lot for about an hour so you can imagine what happend when I got back. Having the customers in tow and the husband telling the manager who started yelling at me that he was going to buy the car if the price was right helped out some! They ended up buying the car and I had to deliver it to their house since they kept the old one so the husband could drive it. It was a unique deal that I doubt would today, but I was knew and did not know any better.