• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

WARNING: ADP CRM E-Mail. If You Use ADP CRM Read This!

kcar

Boss
Jun 14, 2011
First Name
B
Started to run my own test after having issues with ADP's CRM e-mails going to SPAM and never even being sent to the customer.. With no real support from ADP took things into my own hands. We used to have their webmail, but the platform/software they were using was horrible, we're talking like from 1999. The software/impression of their systems knowledge makes it very clear that ADP has NO idea how to work with e-mail. I went through 9 people, senior of senior support, etc and they all were trumped over problems we had a year ago. Eventually had to move to Godaddy to fix the problems.. Anyways, here's what I learned with more recent issues within the CRM itself:

Also let me be clear, it's not just me I've spoken with other dealers.

Used 3 separate e-mail marketing providers to mass send out e-mails. Plus ADP's mass e-mail within the CRM. And compare all the #'s and other things here's what I found: (Keep in mind this is after ADP verified multiple times all of my settings were working, server was working, etc. etc.)

- ADP's Opt-Out system does not work. There are some major issues with this, when sending out campaigns and gather clients, it pulls in ALL of the e-mails and doesn't exclude opt-outs. I was wondering for months why the same customers were complaining, even after updating their opt-out manually over and over.. And on-top of that, if you export any list out, they don't include the opt-in either, so either way you're screwed! No wonder the CRM isn't sending anything to customers or going to the SPAM box sometimes, their setup doesn't work. This is a huge problem, as it is a huge violation of the CAN-SPAM Act for dealers sending out mass e-mails in their CRM. Be careful!

- While ADP has no real way of tracking e-mails, deliveries, opens, SPAMS, etc (which is a huge fail in my book), I embedded code into their email to track it for myself. With the (3) 3rd parties I average about 15% open rate in ONE DAY (still growing in #'s not done testing, I expect this to hit 19% soon), BUT with ADP's CRM I average about 1% open rate IN 1 MONTH. Big Difference! Clearly there are some major problems with how ADP is handling things. These e-mails are not getting through, our ISP/server settings from as much as I could test seemed normal, but there's something odd going on for other dealers as well. I'm not the ADP systems admin so I can't really explore deeper to the root, but it's apparent, the ADP CRM has issues sending out e-mails.

- I don't think ADP understands the importance of SPAM complaints and how they can affect dealerships. Let's face it our job is to hound customers over and over, and after awhile there's a super high chance they'll hit SPAM and never see our messages again. Yet I don't think ADP is working proactively to manage this, they can't be.. They don't use anything new, their systems network/software is so old/out-of-date it's crazy to believe a company like that could still be using it. These 3rd party e-mail marketing companies are on top notch level work, they are in the business makings sure e-mails are going out. They have tracking all of this stuff (something our industry lacks and really needs badly).

So there you have it, hopefully an ADP rep reads this. They seriously need to get with the times and re-work their e-mail setup/system and start managing it like a real professional 3rd party e-mail marketing company would. Now, just to be clear I love the ADP CRM, I think it's phenomenal functions wise! But I can't get over the e-mail issues, that's a big problem that needs to get sorted out.

:(

Not surprising. Sad, but not surprising. Unfortunately ADP isn't the only CRM that struggles with email delivery.

I know Quinn was an ADP CRM Power user. Not sure if he had the same issues or not.

So what are you going to do about this Kcar?

:(

Not surprising. Sad, but not surprising. Unfortunately ADP isn't the only CRM that struggles with email delivery.

I know Quinn was an ADP CRM Power user. Not sure if he had the same issues or not.

So what are you going to do about this Kcar?

Not surprised either. Going to explain how e-mail works to dealer's that aren't familiar with the process of managing it. (Why our industry needs people handling this seriously):

An abuse complaint occurs, when your recipient clicks on "report spam" in their email program. Now being car dealers our industry has a very high chance for this happening, we send out e-mails to people who over time just want a quick way to be left alone. If their ISP has what is called a "Feedback Loop," they are registered as an abuse complaint in on the mail server. The abuse complaint causes the recipient to be automatically unsubscribed and they will no longer receive email. ISPs closely monitor how many abuse complaints occur. If an ISP sees too many of these abuse complaints, it can lead to deliverability issues for your account and other CRM users' accounts. ISPs and anti-spam organizations are threaten to blacklist servers with this occurs, unless the vendor explains why your e-mails generate so many complaints.

For now Jeff, I really can't do much. Just launched the BDC and trained everyone on how to use the CRM. (Off note but their rocking! First 2 days on the job my new team has 6 appointments 1 Car Sold). Back to this topic.. So making a switch now wouldn't work and I don't think I'll see any improvements in other vendors. I believe this is an on-going issue for lots of dealers and various platforms, and something our industry really struggles with. My only hope is that in the future these CRM vendors will incorporate a professional managed 3rd party into the CRM for e-mails. Or at least re-work their entire software/management process for e-mails.

I would love for ADP or a vendor to reach out to more. I have all of these ideas that our industry needed ages ago. Have been using ADP CRM for 3 years now, and there's been 0 updates features wise.. What's going on here? These vendors need to talk with dealers and starting proactively updating their products.