• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What are you doing to replace behavior targeting on Facebook?

Mid-Grade Ford

3rd Base Coach
Oct 20, 2015
Awards
First Name
Abe
We use the in-market audiences for sales campaigns and vehicle-owner audiences for service campaigns all the time - and now they're both going away. Not sure what to do.

Is it possible pay Oracle/IHS to share those audiences with your advertising account? Is that even allowed under the new facebook advertising rules?

Or are you just pushing ads to the customers you have in your dealership's database? Using lookalike audiences with the customers in your dealership's database?

At the risk of sounding a bit 'spammy', I'll let you know that, in the US, you can replace the 3rd-party data with high-quality 1st-party data.

Check out the video that explains CarsSocial

And I know that @Jeff Kershner loves my 'Lookalike Audiences' illustrations, so -
40447021_10205098590142169_5795844734278696960_n.jpg

By far, the best that I've seen is Driven-Data's Facebook Custom Audiences.

The 1st Automated Solution for Sales, Service and CRM
Driven Data dealerships can now automatically push their sales, service and CRM customer data directly into Facebook custom audiences. We are the first company that offers this service across all data types, giving you and your team a distinctive advantage. We combine your customer data with the power of our machine learning platform to identify customers that are close to purchasing a vehicle or ready for service. This way your customers get the right message at the right time.

Benefits:
  • Each audience updates daily so they are always fresh
  • Custom Audiences can be used by you, your agency or digital marketing partner
  • Costs of targeting your customers in FB Custom Audiences are way lower than other channels
    • 4.00-6.00 CPC for AdWords
    • .70-1.00 for Direct Mail
    • .10-.35 CPC for Driven Data Facebook Custom Audiences
  • Increased ad engagement from our predictions and using your customers
  • We track all your results, we know who you targeted and who sold, so you know it’s working

Looks like with DrivenData and CarsSocial we would just paying a third party to run fb ads for us. I would like to continue running the fb ads myself. Just looking for some way to supplant the loss of behavior targeting.

You were paying for it the whole time you just didn't know it. Oracle was getting a hefty % of the CPM. It's just like having crappy creative, pay now or pay later. The results were always pretty meh anyways.

We've done extensive A/B testing back when they were available. We have predictive audiences for both sales and service from your database (CRM, DMS). Lookalike audiences based on these outperform Oracle 2:1 or more in every metric. This is how our agency and dealer partners increase reach. We feel this approach works best we do the nerd stuff they do the creative stuff.

There really isn't an easy way for a dealer or agency to do this in house either. The barrier of entry for machine learning is really high. You need to know what you are doing and have enough data so an out of bag testing procedure can be conducted. With an approved integration the sync process takes minutes versus up to up to 72 hours. The integration is not easy either, Facebook changes the rules every month. I am pretty sure we are one of the only ones in all auto that have it. This means the audiences update every day. We do this to ensure each of our 11 audiences are as relevant as possible. So if a customer buys, we remove them. We also use a data hybridization process to combine the PII from all past transactions as well as the CRM data. This ensures the highest potential match rates. Btw you have to prepare all of the data to their standard. This requires code or ninja level Excel game...we code. You also need a few million sales and service ROs to train the models.

You can't just import purchased lists. Today you have to declare at a record level whether the data is 1st party or not. We started work on this in Oct of last year so we've seen some stuff. Anyone that has ever been on one of our demos will tell you we eat, breathe and sleep audiences and want you to use them everywhere not just FB.

End of blatent self promotion:banana::banana2:

Last edited:
You were paying for it the whole time you just didn't know it. Oracle was getting a hefty % of the CPM. It's just like having crappy creative, pay now or pay later. The results were always pretty meh anyways.

We've done extensive A/B testing back when they were available. We have predictive audiences for both sales and service from your database (CRM, DMS). Lookalike audiences based on these outperform Oracle 2:1 or more in every metric. This is how our agency and dealer partners increase reach. We feel this approach works best we do the nerd stuff they do the creative stuff.

There really isn't an easy way for a dealer or agency to do this in house either. The barrier of entry for machine learning is really high. You need to know what you are doing and have enough data so an out of bag testing procedure can be conducted. With an approved integration the sync process takes minutes versus up to up to 72 hours. The integration is not easy either, Facebook changes the rules every month. I am pretty sure we are one of the only ones in all auto that have it. This means the audiences update every day. We do this to ensure each of our 11 audiences are as relevant as possible. So if a customer buys, we remove them. We also use a data hybridization process to combine the PII from all past transactions as well as the CRM data. This ensures the highest potential match rates. Btw you have to prepare all of the data to their standard. This requires code or ninja level Excel game...we code. You also need a few million sales and service ROs to train the models.

You can't just import purchased lists. Today you have to declare at a record level whether the data is 1st party or not. We started work on this in Oct of last year so we've seen some stuff. Anyone that has ever been on one of our demos will tell you we eat, breathe and sleep audiences and want you to use them everywhere not just FB.

End of blatent self promotion:banana::banana2:

I am impressed - well done Jon! I believe that it makes the most sense for dealers to partner with someone that can use the dealers and/or their own outside data to help them target in-market shoppers on FB and Instagram. I am like several of you on this thread that likes to do things in-house, but I believe the change in privacy laws is moving our hand to partner with others who are better equipped to help us.